I am a 44yr old female and I've been having this weird numbness down the outside of my left leg for the past 6 months or so...from my hip area to just above the knee...I am health and active, I have a very physical job, so it doesn't really bother me...it's just weird...if i stretch my leg out i can feel this kind of crackling noise/sensation but it doesn't hurt... I have a strong back and nothing is pinched...no pain anywhere, so don't think it's my sciatic either...although it feels cold and numb to me, this numb area is very warm when I or someone else put my/their hand on my skin ... and recently when I sleep at night I am like a little furnace...end up waking up soaking wet, heat is turned down and i end up kicking all the blankets off....I doubt it is anything life threatening but am very curious as to what might be causing it...any ideas? any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanx...Waterat...

Hi! This is usually caused by nerve or muscle damage. A common cause of leg numbness is also nerve entrapment. There's a medical condition called Leriche's syndrome which causes a blockage in the heart's terminal aorta so blood can't flow to lower parts of the body. So you shouldn't really ignore it. Take care.