Orthopedist here in Ecuador (educated in Brazil I think) tells me to never, ever do squats or lunges. Full-flexion with weight adds 7-10 times the weight to your knees. I started doing squats and lunges 4 months ago. Any reason I should stop and be doing something else?
thanks

Every physical therapist I have worked with for my knee pain has recommend lunges and squats. The lunges were usually with a light wieght and the squats with up against a wall with no wait and I would hold that position as long as I could.

i'll second TriBob. form is EVERYTHING.

2 main points of concern

1. NEVER bend past the 90 degree mark
2. bend your knee(s) so that your knee never passes infront of your toes. It should be a traight up and down line from you knee(s) to your ankles

i have a bad knee from a ski accident and this is what has been instructed to me to increase my leg muscle strength.

I can't imagine not doing my lunges and squats! I have to strength train at home, so I only have weights and a bench, and I have to do legs just with legs! Without my lunges and squats I don't know how I'd keep my legs toned.