My son was diagnosed otitismedia. He had fever and felt pain in ear area. He’s five years old and has never had ear infection before. What may cause otitismedia? Is it contagious disease, because I have one younger son too? Doctor didn’t give him any antibiotics, just suggested me to give him otc medications for pain relief. How long does it usually take to infection go away?

I’m familiar with this kind of children’s disease. Middle ear infection usually leaves away in 2-3 days, even untreated one. It may be caused by virus or bacteria, so that’s why antibiotics are not always recommended. Otitis media is not contagious; you shouldn’t be worried about your younger child. My kids used to have otitis media when they were younger. This disease is very common in kids till the age of 7, almost as common as flu.