Its been about two weeks since I had lapo surgery to remove my gallbladder (as well as a procedure the day before to have the stones removed). From my understanding my gb was quite infected, I had had problems for months prior to going to the hospital.

My problem now though is that I'm having some really bad pain in the area of my highest scar. Basically the whole area on the top of my abdomen under my breasts is very sensitive to touch. There is a dull ache throughout the day, but frequent shooting pains come and go do to movement, deep breaths, coughs, laughs, etc. I have also noticed that this scar is darker in shade then it was a couple days ago and there is a slight discoloration around the area (not very noticeable though). Its very very painful and I'm not quite sure what is causing it as my one week check up I was told my "wounds" looked fine. (To be honest though, the doctor barely even spoke to me on my check up).

I would just call the doctor and make an apt but to be honest I haven't insurance and I am trying to avoid jumping the gun unless absolutely necessary so I thought I would find out if this is "normal" or not or if I should make an appointment.

Thanks for any responses.

This is somewhat normal, however here is what you want to look for. First off the scar may appear dark, this is normal, what is not normal is if it is very red in color and feels hot to the touch, this is indicative of a possible infection brewing. I would not wait it out, as an infection could quickly become a bigger expense versus going to maybe even an urgent care facility. I too have had gallbladder surgery in November, and my scars were dark in color and still are, they healed nicely, but I often thought I had a problem about two weeks after because the scars were very itchy. The doc said it's pretty normal as scar tissue is typically itch haven. I wouldn't be too too concerned but on the flip be cautious and just go to an urgent care. Good healing!

I went to the dr today. While there are a few posibilities on what the problem may be it seems the most probable are one of two things. 1) That its normal wear and tear due to being cut through my abdominal muscles and 2) possible leakage and fluid build up.

Right now my reasoning is that if it was muscles wouldn't it have been hurting from day one and never stop and not have started suddenly? But b) would leakage cause a shooting pain when I breathe deep, turn, twist, move, or anything of that sort...

I guess I'll just find out tomorrow because I'm getting another ultra sound done and I am getting some blood work done to find out if anything is "high".

Another question: if it is leakage, would that mean more surgery? Anyone gone through the same situation and can describe the pain of fluid build up?

Your issue sounds almost identical to mine. My surgery was exactly 1 week ago. I have 4 incisions (one at the navel- that i think was done accidentally, and 3 on the right side of my abdomen). Yet, it is the upper incision that I am getting all of my pain and discomfort. Like you, I can not laugh or cough (when I do I get this sharp internal pain). I can take a deep breath and I can twist and turn okay. I cannot bend down and I have pain when I go from a lying to sitting, or a sitting to stand up position. I am also experiencing back pain on my right side. And then I have this cramping at the top of my stomach where the incision is. Its just all so crazy. I am really wondering if I made a good choice. But the gallbladder attack pain was so unbearable. And even when I thought I was consuming a low fat or no fat meal, I would get an attack. I had a MRCP (an MRI, only they look at your abdomen area) today and liver function tests done. My appt is with my gastroenterologist next monday. She is not the doc who performed the surgery, but she suspects that they left a stone in my bile duct which may be causing the back and abdominal pain.

What happen next?? I'm having similar problems.