I'm glad others are experiencing this too. I woke this morning to a deep muscle/gland-like pain in the front left of my neck running alongside the adam's apple. It hurts to swallow, but not because of a sore throat. It also hurts when I move my head or strech it up.

Does anyone have any anwsers to this? I've never experienced this strange sort of pain before, and can't think how I could have strained my neck or anything. I'm scared it's a tumor or something, but I think I'm just over-reacting!!

Any suggestions?

Feel along your pulse points. Can you feel swollen masses there that shift when you press them and are sensitive?
If yes, then they're probably swollen lymph nodes, if you are having fevers, headaches or dizzyspells (or all of them) you probably have strep.
I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

I have had similar symptoms for the lasst 12hrs. Glad to hear there is a simple diagnosis - haven' had strep since I was a kid. Hope that is all it is. Any suggestions as to how to relieve the pain for now until I can see my doc?