I posted this in another forum, but because I'm a newbie, I think I put it in the incorrect forum.

Are there lymph nodes deep in the neck? I have had an odd sore area deep in the front left of my neck for several years. Doctors cannot detect any swelling, so they tell me that it is nothing to worry about. An ear, nose, and throat doctor inserted a camera in my throat and saw nothing. I tried to explain that it doesn't feel like it is IN my throat; it feels like it is deep within the left side of my neck--like I would have to push my finger very deeply into my neck in order to locate it. And it doesn't feel like it is a very large area, either, but a very specific small area.

It often gets so sore that it is uncomfortable to turn my head or to swallow. Occasionally it goes away, but it always come back. I've tried to find good anatomical photos of the lymph system, but it seems they always show the lymph nodes close to the skin.

Another strange symptom is that the same small localized area that feels very sore also aches. Yesterday it ached and ached all day long.

Has anyone else ever experienced such a problem? What type of test could determine what is going on in my neck? MRI? CAT scan? I'm at a loss.

I have had similar experiences with doctors. I have had an area in my neck that has been very tender but not IN my throat..it is not like a sore throat..but in the neck area. I have been back and forth to the ENT and they just say that it is nothing. I had a CT scan about a year ago on the area and the results were the same...nothing..but still continue to have these pains. Hopefully we can both find some answers...but I wanted to write and let you and myself know that we are not alone. Take care

I also have been experiencing something similar for about 2 years now. Only the left side of my throat/neck hurts. I get very thick and stringy mucus/saliva on my left side. So far, i have had my tonsils taken out for this and an MRI and CT scan but everything always comes back clean. My ENT said it could be something to do with the nerves on that side. I will be seeing him again soon, hopefully there is some end to this.

It is weird to hear someone else describe this. I went to the doc for a swollen lymph node about six months ago just above my left clavicle. He sent me to the doc who stuck the scope through my nose and down my throat. I was told nothing was wrong and a clean x-ray. But now I am having a soreness in my left clavicle that seems to ache under the clavicle. I can't find anything but the lymph node is still a little swollen, about the size of a pea.

i recently developed the same type of soreness in the top part of the front of my neck, directly under the chin on the right side. small area of soreness, pea-sized, and the soreness is very dull, similar to the sore-throat feeling, but outside the throat. i am glad to hear all your reports turned up nothing, but it is strange and somewhat disconcerting not to have an explanation. i have been a singer for many years and wonder if this has anything to do with it. beyond that, i guess i'm just joining the group with mysterious, so-far non-threatening neck soreness...

same here ,also left armpit tenderness on occasion

I have been having the same problem! It happens for a few days every month. I agree. It feels as though it is not in my throat, it is deep in my neck and eventually triggers ear pain that shoots through my head everytime I move my head. Or, there are many days that when I move my neck, there is pressure on my throat (which is unnerving).I have been in twice and was given wierd looks because "everything looks fine."

I just want someone to take it out!

If you hear anything else, please post.

I am experiencing some of the same symptoms, the front of my neck hurts, like where my throat is. My glands ARE swollen, both ears hurt, I have a lump on my bottom left jaw about the size of a peanut and have been breaking out in canker sores for going on three weeks. I am thinking about going to the dr. What concerns me most is the front of the neck pain, someone told me that it is where the thyroid is? Has anyone looked into this option?

Oh my god I have this now Im on line looking for help I see the dr tomorrow neck hurtsnot a constant thmping pain that happens when I move a certain way but it is a constant achy feeling ear hurts kinda plugged up feel . pain generates from left side up neck under ear and sometimes around to forhead.

I have had all the same symptoms. I went to the doctor for it the first time about 4 years ago. He said it was nothing but ran blood work, which was fine. Throught the years it has gotten worse. Went to my family practice dr and he said it was nothing. After going to my OB and telling her she told me to see an ENT which I did back in Dec. 06. He did the camera thing and saw something. So I had a CT scan which showed a nodule. He put me on Celebrex and it seemed to help. It has gotten worse. I went to the ENT am month ago. He did the camera thing and didn't think it got bigger. He put me on another anti inflammatory. It did not help. Went back last week for a check up. He pushed on it and said he thought it was my thyroid cartlidge sp?. So he gave me 2 injections in the neck of a steroid. I was in so much more pain hat day. By the next day it was feeling better, but I have it still, it feels like it is below my jawline towards the center down about2 inches. In the last couple of weeks I have been having pain in my clavicle area. I feel the pain in my throat sometimes in my ear but really bad in my neck. I wish they would find out what it is. I feel better knowing so many people have the same symptoms. It just seems to get worse but they seem to not know what it is.

Ive had the same thing with the neck thought it was just slept on it wrong and then my back broke out i thought it was stress then and it would go away.

The pain is below my jaw on the front, upper, left side of my neck. Same thing--I don't think it's IN my throat, but more a muscle problem in my neck, though my throat does hurt when I swallow, but only if I tilt my head to the left; otherwise, it doesn't really hurt when I swallow. In any event, I've had many sore throats in my time, and this definitely seems different than that. It hurts most when I move my head around, even when I walk. Doesn't seem to be any swelling or lump. I assumed I just twisted a muscle or something yesterday--I was doing a lot of reading and my neck may have been positioned awkwardly though I didn't notice anything then--only later that evening, it really began to hurt. Strange that others have had this and nobody seems to know what might be causing it.

Has anyone looked into possible having a dissected coratid artery?

Regarding pain below the jaw and behind the ears, I am facing the same strange pain. My experience is a continuous sensation like the one you feel when you are about to eat a slice of lemon. I salivate a slimy and watery saliva and this is very irritating. My doc checked blood and urine and all was fine. My testicles also sends some funny messages not painful but shot jabs and sensations that are kinda hard to explain. I hope investigations on this are under way.

I am very happy that i found this site and that its not just me, but it sucks that noone has figured out what it is.....on my left side under my jaw deep that i have to push my finger into my neck but there is no lump or swelling. hurts when i move my neck for the most part and at times it will bother me like behind the left ear and sometimes left eye. If anyone has come up with an answer please post it, I'm a little worried that none of us has found an answer.