For several years I have had chronic pain (at times) in my lower abdomen and hip. I have many doctors look at me regarding my symtoms, had numerous MRI's and tests, though no one seems to know what is causing this pain. It has gone dormant at times though will return for no good reason. Recently I visited a Urologist and he states that the pain I'm feeling in my right testicle is a result of too much caffiene, alcohol, and spicy foods. I'm not a big drinker, though I do like my coffee. I do not eat spicey food.

Back in the spring, I had a bit of a problem with my right testicle in that it was jammed during activity. It was extrememly painful that night and continued to bother me for weeks to come. That incident also seemed to have sparked back my problem again in that my lower abs started to throb and the hip went off as well.

I have been seen by a hernia specialist and he ruled out a sports hernia. I have had nerve testing done to see if something is acting up though that came back negative. Now with the latest doctor telling me that it's because of the caffiene and alcohol I drink, I'm really confused. I don't think a swollen epiditimus could cause all of the pain I'm having and frankly, it just seems so conisidental that all of this started to surface right when I had the trauma with my testicle... I mean right afterwards. I mean the pain that seemed to wake everything was the testicle pain - after I had jammed it.

I did go off the caffiene like my doctor told me, and the alcohol for thirty days. I still had days of pain in that period though I also cut back a lot of activity as well. But even being off those two things for three weeks I would be sitting at my desk and all of the sudden I would start to get the pain in all of the familiar areas.

When doing a self test of my testicles, I have noticed that I will locate the where the pain is in the right testicle and that pain will shoot all the way to my hip and sometimes to my lower back. It's odd I know but when I feel the area that's soar on the testicle itself, the pain can be traced to both of those points. I know there are nerves that originate in the spine that go directly to the testicle; could this be related?

I'm wondering if my hip, lower abdomen, and groin area (includes the right testicle) are all connected in some way when it comes to nerve paths. I don't know how nerves work, but something tells me that when I hit that painful spot on my right testicle and that triggers pain into the right hip and lower back region, I get the feeling that there might be something else that's causing all of the discomfort, instead of a swollen epiditimus - which by the way wasn't swollen the last time my doctor examined it - even though I was experiencing pain that day in the abdomen and testicle. I give up.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This can be very painful (chronic) and absolutely nothing seems to help. The lower / mid-abdomen and hip pain has been intermittent for nearly 7 years now. The right testicle pain began this spring right after I had jammed it during a sports activity. My urologist claims my PH level (just under 9) has been reduced down to 6.5 because of my quitting caffiene and alcohol for a month. Look, I'm sure cutting these things out is definitely good for you, but I don't feel that a swollen epyditimus could cause this much pain.

Scott N

I am 72 years old and my Right testicle has swelled up and I recently found a 3/8 lump on right side. The lump is very tender and it is very painful. I have unbearable pain in my groin and scrotum. The pain continues to be felt going up and around my back (near my kidney). It continues to hurt with an aching pain that runs down my right leg just below my knee.

I sometimes have problems Urinating and it can also be very painful to pee.

I had this same problem 5 years ago. My urologist had me take 1 Flomax pill each day and it did not help. He then prescribed a bright purple pill that also did not help. I finally was put in the hospital and was feed me medicine by IV. After 4 days in the hospital the swelling went down and everything was normal again. The doctor told me to take Prosar and – Decreases the size of the prostate) Takes a Flomax – Helps your pee flow

For the last 5 years I have been taking 1 Proscar pill and 1 Flomax pill day. I have had a hard time peeing.

Recently I have been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. The doctor said they caught it early and treated me with 28 Radiations Treatment and then followed up with 2 Needle implant treatments where they inserted 18 needles below my scrotum and they pumped radiation through it. I just finished up with the needle treatments and that was when my swelling began.

My doctor wanted me to wait to see if the swelling would go down and told me to wait a week. The swelling did not go down and I asked him to put me in the hospital to feed medicine by IV. I was hoping this would help. The IV has been feeding me medicine the past 5 days and that has not helped. The pain is unbearable and I am ready to loose a Testicle if needed.

If you happen to find out what your problem is please let us know. I think I may have a simular problem that you have. Thanks!

Hey Scott,

I have the same thing going on, did you get any help? I went the doctor and he gave me Doxycillin 100mg twice a day for 21 days. He says it is an Epidydimus infection; but I am not so sure...

if you are male, and if you have these sytmpoms, try to also see a UROLOGIST, just to make sure you can rule out hernia.

i have had similar probs the last few months and i took doxycycline for 10 days twice a day and it went away kinda for a while. but here it is a month later and the pain is back...im not sure what it is...

It sounds to me like the you have 'Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome'. Most common symptoms are pain in lower pelvic floor muscles (about 1" below the belly button). Usually a tightness feeling like a very tight belt around the waist is common. The other common symptoms are frequent urination, painful ejaculation, and occasional burning sensation after urinating. Unfortunately very little is know about the disease except that it won't kill you. It is very common nearly 40 million Americans have this syndrome and it generally lasts 4-6 years. Eventually the symptoms will become asymptomatic and just go away. Until then you have to tough it out like I do.
Most common and successfull treatments are pelvic floor muscle relaxation techniques. Basically a lot of stretching as seen in yoga. The drugs used to treat it are alpha-blockers like doxazosin and flomax. I personally use ditropan, which is used to treat overactive bladder. Since most people with CPPS symptoms have flare-ups and don't necessarly have symptoms everyday. I use ditropan as needed instead of everyday and stretch my pelvic floor muscles in the morning and before bed. Doctors don't have any specific medicine or surgery specifically for this disease, so they treat it with drugs used for overactive bladder and BPH medications.
If you have what I have or need to find out. Any urologist can help explain in more detail what is happening to you. I suggest if you are going to use drug therapy you stay away from prolonged use of alpha-blockers like flomax and doxazosin. Alpha-blockers relax your sphincter muscle and overtime will relax it to much and you will eventually have incontinence problems (mostly dribbling of urine), similar to prostate cancer survivors who have a catheter in for a prolonged period of time. Mostly stay strong and know that eventually this will go away. You may still get occasional flare ups troughout your life but it beats dying. I'm 4 1/2 years in and I wish anybody that reads this the best of luck.

SWELLING WITH A LITTLE DISCOMFORT-- DOCTOR SAID i SHOULD WEAR BRIEFS AND AN ATHLETIC SUPPORTER ALL THE TIME EXCEPT WHEN SLEEPING

for one of the repliers - the 21 day Doxycycline tx is probably for n. gonorrhea infection.

for the first post:
how old are you?
pain around your lower abdomen and hips and testes can step from back problems and compression of your nerves

it doesn't take a lot of disc sliding to manifest these problems and they (X-ray scans) may not be easily seen or appreciated by the average GP.
sports medicine doctors are really just GP's
Back problems may come with age but also from improper lifting. this happens more frequently than you think.

perhaps see an orthopedic surgeon/physiotherapist

Bump by a couple of years but did you ever find out what was causing this?

I'm 23 and for the past few months when I'm either masturbating or having sex I get a really bad pain like my right testicle is twisted. It goes extremely painful and swollen and the pain goes right up into the right hand side of my abdomen. The doctors are sending me for an ultrasound because they think I've got gallstones and that my gallbladder being inflamed is putting pressure on the nerves and blood vessels running to my testicle but as yet I still think it's originating from the testicle and working it's way out. Just have to wait and see what my scan results are in a couple of weeks.

Hope you got on better?

Hi all, well I have had an interesting 1/2 year. In October 2008, I had discomfort in my left testicle. This got worse within a day so I went to a doctor. I am 33 years old. Pain worsened very quickly.

The doctor put me on doxy that morning and claimed it is epidipity orchitis and the anti-biotics would clear it. This is usually either sexual related or urine-tract related (both which have been tested many times to be neither...more on that later...). The same day he referred me to the ultrasound lab as my scrotum had grown in size, my epiditimus was VERY swollen and sore. It got worse...

That night - massive pain attacks. The most pain I have ever experienced. So much so that I curled up in a ball in agony. My wife took me to the hospital.

The fun begins..

10 days in hospital - on IF being fed pain killers + loads of anti-biotics (2 types) with chronic pain attacks every 3-4 hours all up my back, down my leg and I couldnt even look at my nuts without being sore.

The left one swelled up as big as a golf ball....not good. Blood tests ruled out everything and many courses of antibiotics finally worked many many months later. After leaving hospital I was put on 2 different types of antibiotics and 2 other pain killers. Ridiculous. I still don't know why it happened.

After hospital I went to a Urologist and he performed a cyscoscapy (sorry about the spelling) which is basically a camera/tube up my penis to see if there was any "nasties" in my lower region...nothing. This was October / November 2008. A CT scan also confirmed that there was no cancer etc.

Well, I still have tender nuts and I went to the urologist in Feb09 as a checkup appointment. He noticed a lump. Why could be cancer.

MANY ultrasounds and CT scans later and this lump (as of March, then April 2009) which is consistent with testicular cancer cannot be diagnosed as being cancer..ie they have to remove it to test it, as penetrating the scrotum is a big no-no with risk of spreading into liver / blood stream if cancerous.

The dilemma - the left nut has shrunken and is scarred badly from whatever infection I had (again, unexplained) and now the right nut is sore. The left one (the dud one) is the one with the 15mmx8mm "low echo mass" and they cannot determine if it is scarring / infection related, or in fact a cyst / cancer. My balls are not swollen though.

Between March and April I had another course of doxy and the pain has lessened but not disappeared....they are still 'tender'.

Further recent CT scans confirm the lump has not changed size or shape and my blood shows no "cancer hormone/indicators".

So I wait...

Still in discomfort (to touch) and now more so on my right nut and in between in the epid area....the tubes.

Thougths? I still have no answers, and have had many CT and U/sound tests. Very frustrating...

Did you get the results?? I have similar issues. Comforting to know I'm not alone, but disheartening to not hear any clear cut answers.

I have had it for months, right testicle, area above the penis, up into loower abs near belly button, on doxy but no help yet. Looks like it fools a nerve path from the testicle up inot the abs. Pain seems near the surface and sometimes a light touch can set it off. My ab muscles seem stiff and sire too.

(guest) I understand where you might be coming (guest) from with this but the consistency of my problem is the hardest to deal with, because it's not consistent. My Uroligist claimed that it was my body's sudden reaction (allergic) to alcohol in my bladder that lead down to my right testicle thus causing the pain. And this could be true but it's not consistent. I have actually been drinking more since it went away a couple of years ago and I've had no problems. I mean I might have some pain here and there but nothing like it used to be. And again, I believe all of this came on because I jammed my texticle but my eurlogist disagreed with me at the time. But last week after having two margarita's, the pain was back the next morning. It was bad like before; aching testicle and pins and needles in my abdomen. Brutal. After a couple of days it went away. After not drinking for 4 days I decided to have HALF of a margarita one with my g/f and within one hour I could feel the pain start to creep back into my testicle. Today (this morning) it feels like someone has kicked me down there. It's extremely painful and it's hard for me to concentrate. So just when I think he's wrong with his assumptions, it seems like he could be on to something. But why isn't it more consistent? I have had many nights in the past few years where I have had many drinks and no problem. Someone said maybe it's tequila. No, because I have shots from time to time and there's no pain. But there have been enough times where the pain has come on right after I have had some alcohol, and I have to say that there's really no pain like it. I mean it literally cripples you and you're lying down just hoping you'll pass out. I've yet to have any doctor tell me what this is other than the urologist who said it was my bladder suddenly develpoing an allergic reaction to caffiene, alcohol and spicy foods. I know it sounds crackpot-ish, but it can be a result - but then it can also have no effect on me whatsoever. It's bizarre. But I've had every test you can have to rule everything else out, and nothing has shown up. If there is anyone out there who might now of these symptoms and has had success getting rid of them, then please, PLEASE, let me know.

Scott

Been back to the doctors today as i have been suffering from the same thing. After a a course of doxy the pain subsided but then came back.

Apparently (with my case) it is do with the Inguinal canal which various arteries etc run through into the leg. He highlighted the intial cause as an infection in my right testicle which has cleared up but left this canal enflamed. It is home to many nerves also which would explain the shooting pains down my leg i have been getting. He also said unless the pain becomes severe there is nothing they can do as if it would be severe it would require operating on which he would not reccomend unless absolutely necessary.

Lucky for me i just got to live with it or hope it clears up.

i hate this i have the same problem and my right nut hurts i have to sleep on my back all the time now thought i might have nut cancer but after i read this i dont even know anymore i dont want to get an opperation though anyone know any exercise that can make it feel a bit better?