I am 29 years old and have had right flank pain for somewhere around 5 years. Initially I went to my family physician who performed a CT to determine if I had kidney stones. My right flank is not tender upon palpation. The pain feels deep within the tissues and is sort of a sharp ache. The only thing found on the CT was a cyst on my right ovary so I was refered to an OB/GYN who performed an ultrasound and spotted the cyst and said it was of significant size and that if I didn't have it removed I wound find myself in the ER with excrutiating pain. I went ahead with the laproscopic surgery and had the cyst removed and my ovary and falopian tube was spared. I was then told that once the bruising healed I would feel some relief of the pain. That was one year ago last month. I have continued to have this pain which is worse at some times than others with no rhyme or reason to it. I have moved and decided to see an OB/GYN in my area to find out if the cyst had returned. He determined that it wasn't ovary at all since I had no pain when he performed a pelvic exam and squeezed my ovary. He refered my to a urologist to see if it was to do with my kidney or ureter. They performed a UA and found microscopic blood in the UA. They then performed a CT with and without contrast and found only that my uterus is enlarged and pressing on my bladder. I should add that I have had problems with urinary incontinence and urgency that no reason was ever found for. I simply don't have to go one second and the next second I am going and cannot stop it. I have an appointment set to perform some test on my bladder but the right flank pain remains a mystery. The doctor said that he thought it was sacroiliac pain and that I should see a physical therapist--but didn't refer me. I have done research on this but I doubt this is the cause because I do not fit any of the descriptions. I am frustrated and cannot afford these tests; I am still paying on the surgery from last year. I am a nurse and have a difficult time taking care of my patients over a 12 hour period while dealing with my own pain with is not relieved by ibuprofen, tylenol, or even the stronger drugs like Vicodin or Vicoprofen--which only make me sick since my 115 pounds cannot tolerate a whole pill. Anyone out there have an idea??

You sound so much like what I'm going through right now. A month ago I had a severe kidney infection. My infection was so bad that I had fluid on my lungs from not being able to breath right. I had 2 trips to the ER before I was admitted for 4 days. Since then I have had that deep, burning on the right side of my back. Its worse when I drink a lot of fluid and when I use the bathroom. I also have a hard time sleeping because of the pain. My urologist told me this week that I still had blood in my urine, but she wanted to wait 3 weeks before testing for cancer & scheduling a cystoscopy (sp?)...she then told me that the IVP that I had done right before Christmas showed that I had a cyst on my right ovary & that could be causing my pain. I can't see how a cyst on ovary could be causing pain half way up my back.

Have you found out anything new?

I'm almost to the point of wanting to find a new doctor...I don't feel like she believes that I'm having true pain.

I have yet to get any answers. It apparently isn't to do with my kidneys because all tests and labs have come back normal. It tends to flare up now and then and lately I've been noticing it more frequently. I ended up canceling the appointment I had with a urologist. After looking into the procedure a little, I found that even if something was found in the test it wouldn't change the treatment in anyway and I just cannot afford to have every test done just to see what happens. It sounds like your situation is mostly kidneys and I agree that it is sometimes hard to get a physician to take you seriously because they come accross so many people that are just trying to get more drugs from them. If you have legitimate pain, never hesitate to get a second opinion.

Did you ever get any resolution?  I, too, am having kidney/flank pain for years, and am about to have my 4th test (a lasix renal scan).  They can't seem to find anything significant (minor issues, but none that should cause pain).

It's a fairly dull pain, but it comes and goes pretty frequently and never goes away for long.  I don't know what else to do.  Clearly something is wrong. 

I also have a medium cyst (5cm last checked) that doesn't go away but doesn't SEEM to cause any issues.  I was just hoping you had some advice and maybe got an answer that could help me.  I just feel crazy since it's lasted years.  I think my doctor and boyfriend thing I'm making it up or something.  It's actually pretty bad when "inflamed" during intercourse, also, so is causing other issues in life.

Help?  Thanks =)

I still have had no relief. The pain seems to come and go in phases although it never affected intercourse. I haven't been very active about getting it taken care of. It seems like each time I get checked out, they find something else that they wanna run tests on and I cannot afford all these bills so I have given up at this time. I had a baby in August and it didn't seem to bother me almost the whole time I was prego and it hasn't flared up since the baby has been born so right now it seems useless to get it checked out. I think it will have to be flared up in order for them to find anything. I did have surgery to remove the cyst and it was about the same size as yours. It didn't help the pain at all so it apparently wasn't related. Still paying off that surgery as well. I hope you have some resolution of your situation. I know how frustrating it is when the doctors seem to think that you are just making things up. It's not like I was seeking pain killers or anything since they never seemed to help.

I've had pain in the left flank for over nine months and cannot get a diagnosis. A full urological work out - cystoscopy, urethroscopy, Ct KUB with and without contrast, MAG3 renogram. All OK. Went off to see Gastro diagnostician. Gastroscopy and Ct scan provided no answers. Blood tests, urine tests all fine. The pain is the opposite of a kidney obstruction - drinking lots doesn't trigger the pain or make it worse.

The pain occurs every day, routine is that I wake up in the early hours of the am, without pain, but then it starts up and can last from 4 - 12 hours and the severity is never worse than say 6 on a scale of 1-10, where 10 would be ER & pumped with morphine to kill the pain (ie real kidney obstruction levels). It typically bounces around from 2-4 on a scale of 1 - 10.

The only clue is that I had a Colonoscopy acouple of months before this started up, which of itself revealed no problems, but was incredibly painful as the camera was pushed round the bowel just under my left ribs. Sometimes the pain is the same.

I'm being offered pain management therapy, which I haven't taken up. Paracetamol and codeine make it manageable.

Sounds like this sort of pain is common and the lack of diagnosis is common too.

Have them test your adrenal glands for diminished activity.

Have them check your adrenal glands for diminished activity.

I just left yet another CT scan to check my Diverticulosis for any Diverticulitis. I have been battling left side pain for over 20 years for one reason or another and usually with good cause. This time I am not getting a diagnosis. It's been over 10 years and it is getting worse with these "flares" I seem to have. First time, I was in my late teens, early 20's. Only took a couple years for a good doc to perform exploratory laser surgery to find major Endometrosis. My entire left side from my bowels, to my my ovary, falopian tube to my kidney were all interwined and meshed together with endometrial tissue. Had 3 laparoscopies every couple of years to clean up my insides along with a lovely dose of medical menopause for a few years at the ripe age of 22. To add to the endo I would get cysts on both ovaries but primarily the left. I had 7 at one time that would flare, sometimes rupture...one did while I was having an ultrasound even. By the time I was 27 they were contemplating a hysterectomy. They really didn't want to as I only had one child and thankfully young they told me. After years of pain and what I felt was punishment (my prior ob/gyn had retired during this time) I was scheduled for pre op blood work. I was engaged and my fiance had a child from a previous marriage and was fine with us not having any together if it meant I felt better. Well...what they said would never happen did, I was pregnant and couldn't be happier. I was told getting pregnant was the most difficult and I most likely couldn't so this was a rarity. I was also told that most likely my endo and cysts would disappear after being pregnant. I was hopeful but we did discuss the what if's, I just couldn't not. So if it all stayed, came back or however it could happen they would prefer to wait 6 months post delivery so that my uterus would have time to go back to size. I delivered in February...had to have a hysterectomy by June, it couldn't wait. A scan showed my insides all meshed together yet again. I had it done and awoke to find out they didn't take my ovaries as we had discussed. No I didn't WANT HRT but I knew that producing my own Estrogen since estrogen at all will cause endo to continue to grow or at the very least hang around, not to mention my cyst issues. In less thatn 5 months I was right back in emergency surgery having my ovaries out. BUT for 5 months of hell with my ob/gyn. First, I had to go in weekly as I had scar tissue starting where they took my cervix, that he new but wasn't enough. I was in excrutiating pain that I swore was worse than before my pregnancy. I know he thought I was lying. Until the ER contacted him and said my Falopian tube had wrapped itself around my ovary...HMMMM. I did get a big apology from him and his nurse. He said in over 30 years of his experience (he was one of the best WA state) he had never seen it come back with a vegeance like that. Unfortuntely, this doc was diagnosed with terminal cancer and left his practice. Within a year I had lower pelvic pain AGAIN. I was told I was crazy, needed therapy etc and basically not believed. I gave up for about three years, got a new GP who recommended a surgeon. THANK GOD! I had been walking around basically dragging my left leg behind by this time. I walked in and found out I had quad hernias the size of grapefruits (oh that was another thing-I looked pregnant). Surgeon did his work, found major endo again wrapped around my bowels and one was obstructing to the point that it was a matter of days. Ok, healed from that...stomach pains started...ARGH, I will make this one short, gallbladder, same surgeon. He tool my appendix at the same time because it ruptured on my way in. This was my last surgery that I had been checked out internally. This surgeon relocated out of state...go figure. I have had left side pain again since 2006. I was diagnosed with Diverticulosis in 2008 - just one large pocket. By last year I had over a dozen of varying size causing infections or diverticulitis. Not fun. I was also diagnosed in between all of this with something called the "Nutcracker Syndrome" - entrapment of the left Renal vein, that they just happened to see on one of my emergency scans. I found one Kidney doc in the last two years who did an ultrasound on me and I was told it was inconclusive as I had too much gas in my system. He called me back and even though the tech told me the same thing a second time, this doc said he saw nothing. Now I vary between is it Diverticulitis infection or is it Nutcracker??? My scan today was only for my bowels and it isn't Diverticulitis somy doc is saying it must be Nutcracker. I am so DONE. I am pretty sure the last few years if it isn't an infection that it is scar tissue, that everything inside me is webbed together and had all these years to get worse without a laparoscopy. BUT and there is always a but, right? No one want to do another and give me relief even if it is only for two years or so because it could just cause more scar tissue and the vicious circle it becomes. I have had over 26 incisions on my abdomen (some for the laps were one inch - multiple each time), not mention the endo. Yes, I am going to have scar tissue. How about the studies done on the hernia mesh repair and scar tissue and the damage it causes? How it can erode away on your insides and imbed into your abdominal wall or instestines? DONE DONE DONE. Maybe just maybe someone else has read my long winded story and they see something that sounds familiar that maybe they haven't heard of or approached with their doc and it helps. Ask me anything about any of these and I will tell you what I have researched and read.

I also have a cyst on my right ovary. Mine is calcified and now said to be a dermoid. it has ruptured a couple times, but the first time was the worst. When it ruptured the first time I had a pain in my right kidney area and entire right flank, so bad that I thought I was going to pass out, that was when they first found the cyst at the ER. I've had intermittent right flank pain for a couple of years now, some of that time before the cyst was found and some of it after the cyst was found.
Well, for almost 2 months now, I've been battling a UTI and kidney infection, intermittent severe right flank pain, trouble urinating, extreme feeling of dehydration, even when I drink a ton of water and extreme feelings of bloating, nausea and near vomiting (I'm taking a lot of phenegran). I think it ruptured again 2 days ago. Since I've been to the ER for that, I knew the feeling and tried to ride it out... I made it, but it still hurts pretty bad 2 days later. Last time I still had a lot of pain because my abdominal cavity was full of blood from the hemorrhage of the ruptured cyst, I'm assuming that's what has happened this time too. Apparently they can slowly leak into the cavity and then sometimes when it's not leaking fast enough they will grow and burst/rupture. This constant leakage and burst can cause continuous infections and also fluid loss when it leaks or ruptures, causing extreme thirst and dehydration.
I am under the care of my internal medicine primary care now. He did a second urine culture in 2 weeks and bloodwork. But I also have an ultrasound scheduled at the OBGYN tomorrow.

The OB has been telling me for 2 years that he doesn't think the cyst is what's causing my problems.....? It's only 3 cm now and he doesn't think that's a problematic size. It has been 4 cm before, so it's shrunk a little. Well, how big is it before it ruptures? We don't know.
The calcification makes me VERY NERVOUS.

I am also being tested for Diabetes Insipidous (not a sugar problem). It's a malfunction with your production of ADH, which regulates thirst and how your body retains or expels fluids. Can be failing kidneys or cause them to fail. Ironically, the pituitary gland in the hypothalamus regulates this. I've been having severe headaches in that area for about 5 years now. Many, many Head and brain scans later, still no reason shown for the headaches, but my bad neck and they don't think that's the reason for headaches either. Who the heck knows. Lol

Will hopefully know more soon.
I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort.

Will hopefully know more soon.
I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort.