hey, new to the site. only made account to ask this question. lol.
but im 17 and my fingers have been peeling since i was like 10 id say. its been awhile. doesnt really hurt or bother me i guess cause im used to it but i just wanted to know why they peel.

little bit of info:
the peel anywhere on the fingerprint area i guess. from right under the tip of the nail down to the first bend of my finger. when it peels it like dead skin i guess and starts with like a white bubble, not a big one, but then i can peel like the whole patch of dead skin off. but it doesnt stop there. when i peel like patch of dead skin off theres a rough edge of hanging skin around where the bubble used to be and i cant help to bite it and peel it back cause when im working on something or doing something involving my fingers i can feel the flap moving around on my finger so i bite it off. sometimes it just keeps peeling and keeps peeling till patches of raw skin are spread around my finger tips and it hurts when anything touches that area. i try not to bite to this point but i cant help it, the skin just keeps peeling, its like im shedding constatnly. this happens to all my fingers and always has since i was around 10.

thanks for any help you might have.

It's normal for the skin on areas like your fingertips to peels off - occasionally - that is how the dead cells are removed. But, since you have this going on for years it's more probable that what might have started as some sort of a blister or normal peeling has gotten infected, especially because you keep biting off the remains that are so close to the soft, new layer of skin. The proper way to remove the broken ends of skin is with disinfected cuticle scissors, but before you get to that point I think that you will need to see a dermatologist or your family doctor so you can get anti-bacterial or anti-fungal cream (depends what has gotten into the skin). Does this happen on all fingers?

yes. every one of them. and there hasnt been a time in the 7 years that a single finger has been clear of peeling. its starting to get old. and there not all gross looking either, its just peeling, no discoloration or nothing. i mean when i peels to deep then my finger in that area turns pinker the deeper it gets but thats just cause its raw and what not.

And have you tried any kind of moisturizing hand cream? That should help at least a little bit, but since its on all fingers, I don't know, you should check out what dermatologist thinks about that. I thought it was only on one or two fingers

nope its on all. but i have used some creams, they dont seem to help. i tried one with vitamin e (which is good for skin healing and what not) and that one helped a little but only a little.

I mean, cream is the obvious "solution" - I figured you've thought of that, but there is a chance that there is some gem - bacteria, fungus or something that is causing this, that is the most obvious reason why it would be on all fingers. Or you are allergic to something, but it would have to be something that you started to come into contact when you were, what, 10 - in the beginning. And you would have to be exposed to that every day.

hi im having the same problem.and i have it every year and the peeling starts just before winter. there a very small blisters which tear when i have a bath.im not sure what to do.it happens on all fingers and this is happening since quite a few years. im 16 yrs old.

I was born with this same problem! Came out of the womb with my fingertips peeling. I had no fingerprints whatsoever. It happened to every one of my fingertips but unlike yours, mine caused me a lot of pain. They would constantly crack and bleed. The peeling occurred up until I was about 11 or 12. Then my skin just kinda went back to normal for a couple years. I had full fingerprints on all my fingers for the first time. But as the years went on, the peeling came back, but only on a few of my fingers. It would peel for a few weeks, then heal back up. The strange thing, I get new fingerprints each time they heal over...It happens very rarely nowadays and mostly occurs on my thumbs. I've been to several doctors over the years and no one has ever been able to tell me what is going on. It's just a weird thing that happens...but hey! At least I could get away with a crime! haha just kidding :P

If you're suffering this a seasonal illness, it's most likely linked to Eczema and irritant dermatitis, from sweat and pollen allergens in summer months is the most common reaction.If you have eczema (Itchyness, dry skin, redness, usually in the backs of knees/between the thighs and under your arms) anywhere else during these months, see a doctor and get a prescription for a cortisoid cream or some other steroid cream. This will relieve the symptoms and let you get on with your life.~J, Paramedic.

I also have the same problem "constant shed and biting" I have scars on my finger prints.