Hi, I’m 22 weeks pregnant and have palpitations that frighten me. I feel lightheaded and dizzy and my pulse goes up so I have to have rest and just lye down very often. Can it be caused by anemia? I’ve been avoiding all drugs, even supplements since I’ve been pregnant. Do you have any experience with palpatations during pregnancy?

I had palpitations during my last pregnancy. It was my second, and I had more symptoms than I had the first time. My doctor told me that palpitations come together with lightheadedness and dizziness. That’s because heart has to pump more blood, and amount that gets to brain is lower than usual. You should lie down as soon as you recognize palpitations, or just sit, if you are in the street at the moment. Avoid standing up too fast and lying on your back, it can also worse your circulation. Talk to your caregiver and he’ll probably prescribe you iron supplements if he would find you anemic.