My 15 1/2 year old male nephew, only child has been sleeping with his dad his entire life. My sister has her own room as she and husband are like roommates no romance. She Does not want to sleep with her husband anylonger. The young man wants to sleep this way and all think this is normal. Sister, a stay at home very involved mom, says, it's up to the son to decide when he no longer wants this sleeping arrangement. There are no behavioral problems, and the boy is very healthy, involved with school, happy, has friends and plays sports in a postive way.

Many cultures , unlike our own in the West, have a very family oriented attitude. The children sleep with the parents and grow up very much family focused and social. They are said to be very socially healthy and more adjusted to socialize then we are. In the West we teach indepence, do it on your own attitude-and we compete for everything from sports to grades to jobs. Not all cultures have this attitude and do not worry about their children having to make it on their own. The Inuits are a culture with very few-if any- competitions/games for children-ALL games must show how people have to work together towards a common goal. It takes a village to raise the baby...literally.
This is just to give you an idea of how different cultures view things. There is no right or wrong answer here.

However, if I'm not mistaken, co-sleeping is usually between mother and child.

I would wonder if the co-sleeping arrangement is working for them and the real root of why they choose this. If it is interfering with his relationship with his partner, there may be a bigger problem. The relationship needs to stay fresh, have time together emotionally and physically-tim eto cuddle and be together. Time for the two romantically may be crucial to this baby having a home with both at the same time ;-)

There also would need to be questions asked about how much time the father gets with the child. If he isn't able to see the baby during the day, this may be his only bonding time. Is this arrangement just due to the fact that the father is unable to let the baby cry while he adjusts to time alone? Is this because the father is unable to trust the baby will be safe and secure on his own? (We must look at whether this situation arose out of a belief in Co-sleeping benifits or as just an alternative to hearing the baby adjust/cry/scream/etc..).
In the end it's the parents choice and their own relationship. I would only be concerned if this is ruining their relationship or if the guy is abusive in any way.

There are also concerns over the child being sufficated or strangled accidentally. Though, accidents can happen anywhere at any time.

'Imagine' - the 'child' in the question is 15 YEARS old - not months.

Here's my 2 cents. I think if this is the only, every night arrangement it's not the healthiest thing...and certainly not the 'social norm' (not that I think we should EVER really base decisions of what society tells us is right). But I do think 15 is a little old to sleep with a parent every night. Especially for a male child. A 15 year old male has privacy needs for sure...

Now - if this were an occasional thing I think I would be ok with that. A lot of time affection in male children is shunned...and that's a shame! I know I appreciate it a lot when my step-son shows brief affection...and I know when he feels like he needs affection it is very much appreciated by him that he isn't pushed away or discouraged.

I'd love to see more opinions on this topic! And specifically if people would have a different opinion if this were a 15 year old girl and her mother!

my son is 11 years old and he stays at his dads every weekend and he still sleeps with his dad,but sleeps in his own bed at home,im trying to get him to see that my son needs his own bed for his own privacy more than anything!!

Goodness, I must have missed the years bit. No, this age group is not healthy at all,. In other cultures where co-sleeping occurs I'd imagine that 15 is more of an adult and they'd be off to find their own mate and hut :p

I would wonder about abuse in this situation for sure! This is odd.

my new partner of 15 mths has his 13 year old son over to his every second weekend to stay, but the son likes to sleep in with him, my partner doesn't see any harm in this,,,, but it upset me, i have concerns as my partner and his ex wife only broke up 10 months prior to us getting together, every thing was perfect with us but he keeps breaking of with me due to committment problems, should i have concerns?