Just a quick question for anyone that had surgery. Can taking the medrol pack make pain worse? My D was in pain, but since starting the pack she says the leg pain is worse. Thanks Menzie

Menzie: All I know is they say the medrol could take 2 weeks or so to kick in. I finished a pack 2 weeks ago with no improvement yet. When did she start taking them? I don't think it could make it worse....I'm not a doctor though. It may be that since your D's surgery is very recent she's just having pain. Basically, I don't know what I'm talking about. I can only tell you how it has been for me and they have not kicked in yet. I started another round due to increased pain and my pain is not worse or better since I took them (yet). I'd say if it gets even worse for your D, you may want to put a call into them and ask. Leesa

LadyBugHurts,

Thanks for your note but I did not have RF treatments. I did, however, have one day where I had a spasm in my butt but only that one day. Other than that, I'm doing fine. Walking about a mile and a half now and just basically feeling better and better each day. Hooray! It will be one month since my surgery next Monday. I have an appt. with Dr. Barbaro on Tuesday for my post-op follow up.

Hope this finds everyone as well as can be expected given the various butt-leg-foot-back / burning-stabbing-aching-spasmy issues that go along with this lovely syndrome.

The weather here in the SF bay area is glorious! Probably not as glorious as our PS pals in Hawaii but still pretty nice! A great day for a walk and maybe someday a bike ride or a run!

Take care, all!

Margie

Ladybug:

I don t know what to attribute the returning pain to. Maybe just that this recovery is up and down and I most likely have a long way to go. It could be partly because I went back to work, that definitely could be a factor. I was feeling better for a while .maybe because I was lying down all day back them for the most part.

Sounds like you re having a very rough time. I m really sorry to hear your struggles. Can you get another doctor to take a look at your case? Seems like pain meds would really help, it s so difficult to function when you re in constant pain.

Aztec:

Hope you are feeling better, how is it now?

Ladybug - thanks for asking.

The post injection sheet that gave me said "flu like symptoms for 5-7 days" and "significantly increased pain at the injection site for 5-7 days" are possibilities.

Looks like they have me pegged because thats how I feel. The muscle is pretty angry and I've had increased sciatic pain.

Hopefully in 2-3 days this will be "behind" me, pardon the pun.

Aztec

I wrote a long page and submitted and it never showed up. What is going on with this site?? I love this site.

So it worked. What the heck. I will just quickly note no real changes. No sitting yet or like her saying "oh my I am going to the movies." but my long post was written, then I hit submit, and then it was gone. I have had difficulty trying to get on.

I just want to tell everyone here what great, kind people you all are. I was so worried when I was not able to get on, that I went on a search to find out what was going on. I ended up finding a name from this site and followed it to health boards. I tried to ask that particular person if they knew what had happened to our common site. I didn't even use the name of this site. A moderator deleated my question saying they do not allow the mentioning of other sites on "their site." I then wrote that I was sorry for my mistake and thanked them for their kindness. That too was deleated. So for all of you very wonderful people who have been such a positive in my life a giant THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER. Oh and the section I was in was in pain management. Thought that I was in the right section. Felt very let down that I was not able to post a question.

LadybugHurts, you told me about this forum while you were at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of web addresses is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use, sorry that it took me a while to actually post here...

A lot of the symptoms that I read about here are very much like mine, stabbing pain in the lower butt cheek. Even though my pain has a different cause (failed back surgery & resulting scar tissue now pressing on nerve roots), pain is pain, it sucks!

I felt compelled to reach out a bit here after reading your last post, I'm really sorry that things went the way they did with your PM Dr, and that they do not want to let you have the SCS trial.

For everyone else's benefit, I had my permanent SCS implanted on 2/13, still healing up a bit.
I really think you need to find another PM Dr, as it seems apparent that they're not doing much to help you manage.

The main site that I frequent is ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of web addresses is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use, it's mainly SCS related, but anyone is welcome, again, pain is pain! On the RAP site, there is a way to search for PM Dr's for your given area, these are also Dr's who include SCS as potential parts of PM, I could find 3 Dr's in Louisville.
I'm not saying this to try to push the SCS, you need a Dr who takes your pain seriously!

Take care & may God Bless you with hope!

Brent

Brent, is your SCS working? If so have you noticed any positive changes in your pain. My D had fusion in June of 06, was doing great for about 3 months then boom. She was in such horrific pain and has been unable to sit for over 1 1/2 years. No life. She did just have surgery in Los Angeles and we are cautiously optimistic. But OHSU Dr. Burcheal (sp) did say that my D only hope was a SCS system. Yet, could not do it, because we really wanted to find the cause, not just treat what she was fealing. This is an awesome site and truly you are welcome. Also was you Saturday a beautiful day? Ours was, but it is raining again. I too am in Oregon.

Menzie, yes, my SCS is working pretty good. Currently, I'm getting 60-70% pain relief with it. I still take pain meds, before the implant I took about 60-75 mg per day of opiates, and I'm now taking between 15-30 mg. I am impatient and would like to be down to 0. I've been to my PM clinic a couple times to have the implant reprogrammed, it's nice to be able to experiment around with different stimulator programs, and work at fine tuning them.

Saturday was great! Just a few weeks ago we had snow, then all of the sudden we are into the 70's, of course, now we're back into the low 50's :-)
Are you from the Portland area as well?

I hope that D heals up well, I think it's great that there is the surgery that I've been reading about here.

We are from Southern Oregon. :) It was in the 80's. LOVED IT!!!!!

Hi all. I guess everyone had trouble getting into the forum for awhile. I took a walk today and did pretty well which again is a sign that the botox has kicked in. But yesterday I had a very bad day wiht lots of leg/butt and foot pain. I had to get up in the middle ofthe night and stretch because I felt so tight. So, who knows??!!

I have had several talks with Dr. Filler and he wants me to wait another month to see how the botox works. I will talk to him again in early May.

How is your D doing Menzie. Wondering how Margie is doing-still well I hope. Julie, are you getting excited--surgery is in May I think. I was going through old posts and came across another guy who had had a successful surgery with Dr. Barbaro on about page 2.

Last we heard Leesa was still having lots of leg pain--what's up Leesa?

Haven't heard from David for awhile--how are those workouts going?

And Aztec and Mark, what's up with you?

Hello to Donna and hope your SI treatment is still working. Dr Filler sent my MRN report and said I had no problems in the SI joint. I think i am going to get my MRN images like Julie did so I can try to see what Dr. Filler is talking about. I only saw them briefly when I was there.

Well, that is all for now. Am off to bed.

Shirley

Debbie, can't remember if you ever got the pain meds.

My D is now 21 days postop. Nothing major to really note. She is still in pain, but there are moments she says that her pain is down slightly but then it quickly rebounds. She is not walking outside daily but is trying. Yesterday she did have a long span in between taking her short acting meds. Usually it is about 4 hours and she went from 9:30 to 5:30. I was like wow you did great, then she grumbled and said it was because her sister and friends were in the family room in the afternoon where her med crusher was. She did not play that card to well, because if it was that bad and she felt her usual pain, I truly think she would have taken the crusher with her. So I want to think this is a positive.

She is walking really well. She has no foot rotation or leg issues that I can observe. I do think that since she has been so disabled and for so long that it is going to take time for her to believe that she could possibly get more functional. To live a normal life. Even I can not even imagine having a life again. I have felt so lost, like it is even weird to say, that I really have lost myself. Where did I go? To fight what I hope will be the biggest and worst wars of my life. The battles I can handle if she can get well. But this "Butt/Leg war has about done me in. I do my daily life well, I work well, but just want to be worry free, in the since that I can drive home and not have to find a reason to go to the store just to get away. Watching the suffering of one child and then the flourishing of one child is extremely difficult. One has a life, one does not. One has always been easy, the other slightly more challenging. Both bright with full futures, yet we just spiralled down. I do try to be positive and read all the books about thinking in a way that promotes what it is that we really want. Not to sure how it is working out for me, but I keep on reading.

The thing that has really helped is having all of you and your support. Not sure where, when, and if this war will end, but I sure do appreciate everyone and the histories and strategies from all of you. My hope is that by Summer we will really know and see some signs of real changes. I do know there is no way I would choose to watch her like this forever.

Hi all,

Everything here is okay. I have some pain but certainly not debilitating. I'm really thinking that this may be an on-going battle for the rest of my life, to one degree or another. I'm living a fairly normal life but it's not the old one, physically speaking. However, I'm only 4.5 months post-op so there's still much of this story still to be written.

My pain jumps around. This morning, the pain is only a burning right where the rear meets the hamstring on the left side. On another day, it may be burning in the right foot. On another day, my upper butt/lower back on one side or the other may hurt. It doesn't seem like I can have it all where there is no pain, no where.

However, I won't gripe except on here. I can work, I can mow the yard, I can go for a walk, etc.. I can't sit for 3 hour stretches but that never really appealed to me anyway given my semi-hyper nature.

I'm starting to think I may need another clean-up at some point. I've read that Dr. Filler has been very successful with 2nd surgeries but I think I may be 6 months or more from pulling that trigger. Given what we have heard about Dr. Barbaro and the expense associated with Dr. Filler, I may have to consider that option as well if, and when, the time ever comes.

Oh well, not the most up-lifting post I have ever made but I get frustrated sometimes. Actually, my bride would say I'm too impatient and I would be wrong to argue.

Enough about me.

Menzie, my heart goes out to you in the largest way. I know that if my wife or my son were going through this, it would literally tear me apart. You have a fan here and you, above all the others including myself, have earned the Warrior t-shirt. When you look in a mirror, you need to be VERY PROUD of what is staring back at you. Don't you EVER forget that. EVER!

Shirley, you surprised me with the botox connection with Dr. Filler. I had no idea he did that injection or would favor it. I must have missed something but I sure hope it works for you. Hang in there.

Margie, wherever you are, tell us how you are doing now. I am very, very curious.

Check in Donna, Julie, Kym, HG, Mark, and please forgive me if I have missed someone. Hope life is well for each of you.

Your friend,

David

p.s. I'll try and be more positive next time.