She can walk the mile a few times a week, then other days it's around the block. This is exactly what she was able to do prior to surgery, so given that she can do that, I need to see it as a positive. She is still hurting but she wants to go and do something. I do think her leg pain must be better and maybe she doesn't know it yet, if that makes sense. She is still on all the meds, Oxy, Neurontin 2x a day, and she was taking 20mg of perc, 8 pills aday along with Ibuprophen. I am trying to get her to see if she can take the one perc at a time. Time, time, time!

The POP I have no clue. She said it just popped in her left buttock and she started to have pain, and I think that has eased. It's 8:10 am and she gets up at 9:00 so I will again assess her at that time. It's so difficult because she has always been such a bright, joyful person. Always believing the good side of people, always doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. I do think she has always been clueless in regards to her body. I guess it is better to say that because she was so athletic she did not mature until late in Highschool she did not have to become aware of herself. This situation hit her in her late teen's. Cathing and living as a disabled person, has made her think she is broken and not normal. She has never said these words, or even let me think this, I think fear plays a big part as well. These are only my own observations in trying to make sense of everything. Not sure if that makes any sense.

Everyone on this site is an inspiration to me. THANK YOU! Oh yeah, last Saturday it was 90 degrees, it's snowing right now. 8O

HI Everyone!!
Hope everyone is doing well... :D Now that the weather is better..I KNOW I am getting ANKY, to get out and do yard stuff, but I KNOW better..I Think.....Any "LITTLE" stretching about the incision just seems to set that area OFF....and down the leg and Butt alittle...And then it goes away 1-2 days..It is NOT because I am doing any stretching/excersize..Just NORMAL everyday stuff...And VERY carefully at that....But, I assume that is ALL a part of the "healing process"....I H :) PE!!! ........ The Dr. did NOT give me any rehab etc..Just go at your own pace?? Call him back in 4weeks to tell them how I am..And then I assume back to Work....I have read some of you have been on this"Neurontin"...I Originally got it 2 weeks after surgery because I could not sleep because of that lovely RLS... But does this HELP any with OUR BUTT problem.pain at all???I Really hate to keep taking stuff to help me fall asleep,but a big% of the time ,that IS the only way to KNOCK me out.......ANY answers/feedback would be Appreciated!!!!!
Talk to you Soon,
Candy

Candy:

I took Neurontin (pre-surgery) and it didn t help my butt/leg pain at all. I don t remember the dosage I was on but I think it was pretty low and I heard somewhere that you need to take a lot for it to work (upping the dosage slowly). With that said, pretty much nothing I ve taken for my butt/leg pain works. I think I have a huge tolerance for pain meds. I'm sure others on this forum can offer their experience.

Leesa

Did you have Dr Keppler do the piriformis release procedure, did it help it make things worse?

How was your recovery after the piriformis release by Dr. Keppler? Are you still in pain? Any problems after surgery? I’m scheduled and seeing bad reviews on him now!

Thanks
Barb

Candy:

Oh, and the other thing - I didn t get much post surgery direction either .just don t stretch or lift anything heavy. Kind of hard to stick to that because we do need to get dressed and put our socks on and walk occasionally, etc.!! After 4 weeks or so, I was pretty much told to return to normal activities and if it causes extra pain to stop. All I know is this recovery is quite long and requires an incredible amount of patience. Glad you found us so at least you have some people to identify with while you re recovering.

Menzie:

Sounds like things are moving towards positive over there....I hope that trend continues. I think we're all in some level of fear but we have to push on and hope for the best.

Leesa

Hi to everyone. Welcome to Candy but sorry you have to be here. You are right about these doctors not really telling you about the rehab process one you get over the initail recovery which seems to last 3-6 months. I t does sound like you are pushing yourself when I look back over the earlier posts and watch how others pushed only to be reminded that recovery is a much longer process than we would like to have to put up with. That is part of what worries me about making the decision to go ahead.

And Donna, you are right, I think just when you stop pain in one place then another crops up. So sorry about your SI joint pain. One reason I am concerned about getting surgery is exactly what you said. Part of my goal is to be able to take liong walks and or do some cycling without the fear of pain. But a lot of my friends are now having hip or knee pain and they can't walk and cycle either.

Margie, you amazed me wiht your 12 hour shopping spree.My daughter also got married just when I started having my pain problem but I somehow think it took my mind off the pain somewhat. It was so much fun planning it with her and it was a beautiful wedding outdoors overlooking the St. Lawrence River.

I had 3 great days and did some walking and errands etc with minimal pain. But then as of today, back to the same piercing pain in the but and burning all around and down the leg etc.. Then of course yesterday I spent the day getting my tax information ready to take to my accountant andthat would give amyone a pain in the butt. I was either standing or sitting the whole day. When I saw what I had spent on medical expenses I was amazed. But then I have already spent as much with my visit to Dr. Filler as I spent the whole year last year. What we won't do to rid ourselves of pain!!!including spend our last cent!!

Debbie,so sorry that the docs give you such a hard time. I hope you find one of those like Donna has who is compassionate and willing to learn new things and accept experimental things. I had to do lots of my ownfighting because I ran into so many docs who didn't believe in PS or didn't know anything about it. Very frustrating, isn't it?

Lynne we will all be thinking about you tihs week with your visit to Dr. Filler. Hope so much that you get some answers and some pain relief.

Aztec, how is the botox going, any relief yet. I sure hope so. Miy relief seems to come and go but I am having some good days and have actually ben able to walk longer distances without getting the leg/foot pain.

How are you doing Preacherman?

Julie, it is getting close to surgery time. How does that feel? I don't know when I willmake my decision. I guess it depends on what Dr. Filler says in early May.

Leesa when is your appointment? I will be very curious what he says about your ongoing leg pain.

Well, I am quite sore so will sign off . Bye for now.

Shirley

Menzie, some of your news sounds hopeful but sounds like D is still having some bad days as well. I guess being on this forum halps to know it isn't an always upward battle. But when you were first on here she seemed to be just lying on the sofa most of the time.

Have you been taking everyone's advice and doing good things for yourself? Does D know that you are on this forum? Just curious.

Gotta go and lie down.

Hope things keep getting better.

Shirley

Leesa;
Thanks for the info.......I just don't know if I should keep taking this stuff to help me sleep or??? I guess maybe I will possibly try a night or so withOUT it.....and see what happens.... And as you say for the Dr.s orders AFTER surgery.....They Really do NOT tell you much... Mine has now been 6weeks, and I STILL can NOT get my socks on by myself...I am too afraid of stretching AND the PAIN that I KNOW WILL follow....But the Dr. says "Do what you can" yea right!! EASY for them to say..
Shirley:
It is SO NICE to be part of the "BUTT GROUP" :) Believe me..I am very Happy I found this forum>>>I do NOT think (outsiders) would understand..But it makes you "Feel Better" to know and talk with others with the same problem :) ..I also know I need MORE patience!!! But as my family/husband says ...that was NEVER one of my virtues.
And Again.....As for the surgery>>>YES!! I am Glad I did it!! I do feel it has helped, ESPECIALLY the nerve pain...But that Muscle is still flairing up at times... :( I guess it still needs to heal for quite a while......
And as for your Tax's.........Done it ,been there ,many years with the medical expences....What we SPEND$$$$ to try and be "out of pain"

Well, on that note......it is time I should TRY and go and get some ZZZzz

Hope everyone else is doing good....
Candy

Shirley, no my D doesn't know I am here. I would have to be my up beat, keep your chin up, never be a quiter poster if she did. I appreciate that I can say real things and it's ok here. :) She is a great young woman and someday she will get to shine. I have always felt from the onset of this that it will be ok. But then I doubt it and fear sets in.

Today is 4 weeks post op. She has her up and down times. She did say her leg does feel better, "I think," as she ends her sentences. And she did say the butt pain is still there but it feels different. She still is our favorite couch potato. She hasn't walked for a few days. D is able to put her shoes and socks on for the most part, but she only does this if she is going on a walk. Her dad, myself, and her younger sister seem to walk past her with the hope that she will jump up and say HEALED! :D I watch her movement and think she looks good. Part of the problem with this whole thing. My D is young, and looks good cosmetically. So just looking at her, and gaging her pain is not accurate.

I did have a massage yesterday. :)

Well someone wanted to know how the preacherman was doing and I'm hanging in there. Someone else asked if I was really a preacher and yes I am of course I haven't been able to preach since Oct 07 in fact I had to resign and file disability. I'm still about the same can't stay on my feet long and butt sitll hurts as well as leg. Also whole butt muscle is still tight as a drum. Started some new natural supplements last week to try and help with the inflamation of the nerves. Bromelain and Querecetin and Fish oil. This combination is suppose to cause your body to fight the inflamation nautrally. So far my foot doesn't hurt like it did when I stood up this time last week. So I am praying it works. Doing all I can and leaving the rest up to the Lord. I also prayed for the rest of you today. Hang in there. :D

Shirley,

So far the myobloc hasnt done a bit of good. Still feel as though it made it worse instead of better. The burning butt, thigh and outer foot have been worse since the injection and I'm still fairly tired. Allergy season here could explain the fatigue, but not the burning issues. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since the injection, so I'm not optimistic. A guy on a different group said he felt worse for 10 days and I think you mentioned 2 weeks.

Dont know if the muscle is still in spasm or what. I do know the guy that did the injection only used 5000 units instead of the 10000 units that they told me they were going to use. Dr. Loren Fishman, in his book, said that he uses 10000 of myobloc (B).

So I will have to see why they used the amount they did. I dont have an appointment with the PM for another 8-10 days. Waste of time with the physician asst appointment last week other than getting some vicoprofen. Havent used it yet, but I'm about ready to and about ready to head to California to see Dr. Filler or Barbaro.

Thanks for asking,
Aztec

To all the patients that wrote in asking about who to contact for the Piriformis Surgery should contact a "Neurosurgeon". He's the best to deal with this problem. I am having surgery in 2 weeks and will let you all know how it turned out. The problem with the Piriformis and Sciatica Nerve is what is called the "Sciatica Notch".

Hi Everybody: Has anyone experienced tingling on the bottom of the foot (side where pain is)??? This is a new sensation for me and wondering if anyone else has had it. Thanks, Leesa

Hello, my name is Robyn and I am from Oklahoma. I have been diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome after about 2 yrs of agony. I have an appt with Dr Hal Martin in OKC the first week of May. I won't go into the long story because I can't sit at the computer long enough tonight.
I am trying to put together a list of questions for my appt. This doctor is my last hope for this condition (can't afford Dr Filler).
Everyone seems to know alot about this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.