Welcome Brandon,

So sorry to hear about your suffering. Please know that all of us here understand and will support you as you go thru this. I had surgery with Dr. Filler almost 6 months ago., after 4 years of butt pain with screaming sciatica. I had a 7 hour surgery and it has been a very rough recovery. The butt pain is better but I do still have the sciatica. It may or may not go away, I try to remain hopeful as thats the main reason I had the surgery. Dr. Filler said it could take up to a year for the nerve to heal.
Have you tried deep tissue massage in the buttock area by a good massuese? Stretching always aggravated me but massage always helped. I also got temporary relief from blind office steroid injections to the piriformis, a couple months at a time. Might want to try that before surgery. sitting on ice is always good too. There is also another doctor people here have seen with good results that may take your insurance.

David, so happy to hear from you. Wow, 98% nerve pain gone?? Wish I could say that, maybe one day. I too get the hip pain, outer hip, especially at night. I remember right after surgery I could hardly lie on my sides so its getting better. Please stay with us!

Aztec, hows it going???

Margie, sent you a pm, stuck in my outbox, I'll try again as this seems to be happening to others. Congrats on the progress!

Donna, thanks for staying on, I agree we need rehab, funny you mentioned the tired legs, I wear out way quicker now than before surgery.Hills are still a challenge, even a small one. I plan to start back to my passion, golf. I've been out putting and chipping, full swing very soon! My friends all walk the course so the tiredness has held me back but I'm working on it.

wonder what happened to the lady seeing dr. hal martin?

because my sciatica is still a problem I have started neuronton for nerve pain. Kinda makes you spacey, but the pain is decreased so I hope the weird effects wear off soon. Take care all, Lynne

Hi Lynne,
I am sorry to hear you are still in pain... Hopefully things will get better. If not, you should get another MRN to see if something else can be done.
I have tried everything to alleviate my sciatic pain. Massage feels good and helps me relax but does nothing for sciatica. I just got an injection at Dr. Filler's place and I have noticed some relief but my pain when laying down is just as bad as before the injection. The only difference I notice is when I am sitting up or standing which is good because that is when I am in the most pain.
I have also tried Neurotin and it seemed to help at first but the benefits didn't last. I liked how it made me dizzy at first. It distracted me from some of the pain.
I wish everyone the best of luck in finding pain relief.
Brandon

just wondering if any of you who took the neurontin had stomach upset with it? My stomach is upset in the upper part like you gotta burp. happens everytime I take the pill. Anyone?? Does it go away?

Lynne, I tried neurontin a long time ago. It made me feel like a zombie and I wouldn't even drive on it but I don't remember if it upset my stomach. I wasn't on it long enough to give it a good try and have never tried it again. I may have gotten over the side effects but just couldn't stand the way I felt but I know my sister has had good results with it.

Hope it is helping your pain. I would give it a good try if it is before you give up on it. I know lots of people who have had good results with it.

Shirley

Hi Lynne. I didn't have stomach problems with Neurontin either. Wonder what's going on? I hope you adjust to it soon and feel better.

Leesa

When I took Neurotin I hardly noticed anything but some dizziness in the beginning. It is worth a try. If anything, your doctor will think that your issues are more legitimate and not be as worried about prescribing pain killers.

take care,

Brandon

Hey All,

I'm back home. Plane flight wasn't too bad. Lynn and I lucked out on the first leg and we got a whole row to ourselves so I got to lay down in his lap and nap. The flight from DFW to H'ville was not so much fun...but we're home and happy to be back.

As for me, I'm doing as expected. I'm just grateful to have been given this chance to get better. I'm looking forward to getting my staples out. It's a big incision and not much fun to have this many staples in my butt.

I have to give huge kudos to the team at UCSF and especially Dr. Barbaro's team. His nurse practitioner was kind enough to let me stop in on Friday to ease some of my fears, look at my incision, get the sticky tape goo off my butt and basically answer any questions I had. Every concern I have had has been returned with the friendliest and most helpful of phone calls. Everyone I have encountered has lead me new have respect for medical professionals (this means a lot coming from a nurse). I couldn't have asked for a better experience, from pre-op to post-op to now.

Hope everyone is doing well. Many hugs to you all.

Julie

Julie

Julie,
So glad to hear that you are doing well. Hope the rest of your recovery goes well, and the pain is no more. Thanks for keeping everyone up to date,
Ronesa

Julie:

Welcome home, I'm so glad you made it through and are now on your way to recovery. Take it slow. No rock climbing (for now). Keep us updated. You've been through a lot and deserve a break.

Leesa

PS: Stewie is pulling for you too.

Hi to everyone, it has been 9 weeks today. I have had a bit of sadness in my heart as there hasn't been any real big changes for my D. Then today I get home and she said it seemed a bit better today. The waiting game is just killing me.

Her surgery site looks great, and her ankle and left outer calf muscle is better as well. The sitting Freddy Kruger butt pain is still there. The back of the thigh seem a bit more irritated. But we are still hopeful that a healing will still come.

Brandon, welcome and sorry you are here. My D was a fellow "Duck" until this robber of life came to us. She was a runner, and now is my favorite couch potato. :)

Thanks for everyone staying in touch. Reading all of your posts give me hope on a daily basis.

Welcome back Julie, Glad to hear you trip home went fairly well. I hope to hear good things about your recovery. Please remember to take it slowly and allow yourself time to heal.

Just wanted to give you all fair warning that you probably won't see much of me for the next two months. My husband and I will be hosting three work teams from the US. Along with work teams come 16 hour work days and a lot of extra work, so I doubt I'll be sitting in front of the computer much.

Besides that, we're preparing for our son's wedding on the 26th. We thought that after 3 daughters, we'd have it easy when it came to our son! Not a chance, since he's marrying a girl from N. Ireland and the wedding is to be in the US. Sometime, just for fun, try planning a wedding when the bride and groom are in one country, you're in another country and the wedding is in a third country!

I will try to check in occasionally, but I just didn't want you to think I'm abandoning you.

Take care and be good everyone. I'll look forward to reading good reports when I check in.

Donna

donna, just wanted to say have fun and good luck with all the wedding plans. I wish your son and new daughter in law a wonderful long happy life together. We will miss you here but look forward to hearing from you when you have time. Thanks for being such an encouragement to me. I appreciate you. Lynne

Hi everyone, I did a long post a few days ago and I minimized it for a minute and it just went into cyberspace. I was very frustrated. So here goes again.

Julie great to hear from you and so glad you are home and can start the healing process. Hope you get those staples out soon and the incision starts t feel better. Keep us posted. Did you ever find out about that artery?

Brandon, glad you are getting some relief when standing and sitting but sorry lying down is still a problem. Do you get any sleep. I was glad to hear you got after your campus abotcredit card solicitors. You should give some thought to starting back into classes one month after surgery as the recovery can sometimes be a longer process--more like 3--4 months. But then some have recovered faster. Have you scheduled your surgery? I will stick with my telephone appointment on 16th. I want to wait until at least the fall for surgery because my son and his family are coming fom Vancouver for a visit in July and I don't want to be recovering then.

Donna, I agree wiht you about the rehab process. It is too bad that you don't have facilities closer but it sounds like you have done pretty well in spite of that. I have a physio here who has worked with me for awhile and I think she will help me when it comes to that stage. We will miss you while you are busy and planning weddings, etc. Don't forget us and come back when you can.

Lynne, hope you are getting over the side effects of neurontin.

Margie, great ot hear how well you are doing. Your scar keeps growing--used to be 13" now 14"--just kidding. Hope it shows off nicely in your new bathing suit.

Menzie, sorry your D isn't progressing faster. What does Dr. Filler say?

Leesa, how is your recovery coming along?

Preacherman did you ever get some help with starting to get some strengthening back? Are you up and about more?

Candy, how is the pool therapy going?

I have a strengtheing program now and we added a new one last time I went to physio for my hip abductors and after I did everything I was in agony--pain shot up to a 10 and that made me say surgery here I come. It seemed like such a normal routine but my butt said too bad, you better not irritate me that way!! I am trying to make sure I am as strong as I can be before going to surgery.

David, since I can't get a private message to you, basically I was asking what you had done in surgery. Did you have any work down around the ischial tunnel. I just remember your surgery being somewhat more complicated and am just wondering exactly what you had done. Guess I am beginning to think about mine and what all he has said he will do.

Better go--this has been a pretty long post. Bye for now.

Shirley

PS Where is Aztec, our other David

Hi, Everyone, I just wanted to update you since I had the injection on May 12. I'm happy to say that it brought the pain level down from an eight or 9 to a 4. I was actually able to sit at a restaurant with friends, with a pillow, for about 30 minutes. This is huge. I go in for a second injection in about a week, and am hopeful that that will help even more. I'm nowhere near normal, and with a combination of some other challenges I have such as degenerative arthritis and constant tendonitis (I use voice recognition software for my e-mails), I can pretty much say that my career is kaput, but just the fact that the pain level has been brought down has really helped my morale.

For any of you who have had pain and haven't tried this approach yet, I went to a pain center and they gave me a cortisone injection, using a moving x-ray above me. This set up enables them to pinpoint the precise location where the injection should go. Previously I had had an injection just in the office, I guess it's called a trigger point injection, but it actually made the pain worse. So if you do go for a shot, make sure they have the movable x-ray.

I read these posts regularly, and it is the club I really wish I didn't belong to, but I am grateful to know that others completely understand the pain. And to the point of some earlier post, it almost would be better to have a more visible ailment. People think that just because I am moving around, I feel fine, which is far from the case. The pain is always there, constant. It's very odd in my mind to have to completely alter my lifestyle and hobbies. I was a public relations specialist for high-tech, which involves quite a bit of computer work. I liked to read books, but I only read snippets of newspapers and magazines now, and do so standing up. I had to leave my job, because I couldn't perform the duties necessary for it.

If a second shot doesn't help, I will most likely consider calling on Dr. filler. Just wanted to tell each of you on these posts that you have a soul sister here online who understands your pain, your frustration, and the guilt that it induces or the pressure you feel it puts on your spouse or significant other.

I like to focus on the positives, and I feel that this experience has made me much more empathetic to other people with chronic pain than I would have been. It also has shown me which of my friends and family have true empathy, and has changed my behavior towards other people when they express pain. So, I believe it has made me a better rounded person.

LindaV

Hi Shirley,

Yep. The darn incision grew an inch from all that lying around not exercising and eating bon bons during the recovery. Stretched my butt big time! They were SOY Bon Bons so I didn't think there would be a problem.... Soy is good for you right?

Just kidding. You caught me in a typo. I've never been good with the numbers way up there at the top of the keyboard on my laptop. I much prefer the 10-key configuration on an external keyboard.

By the way, what a great idea to do the strengthening program prior to surgery. Listen to your butt, though. One thing about this little pirifomis muscle is that if you do something it doesn't like, it will make you pay for days or weeks! So be careful and keep us posted.

Take care,

Margie