Hey guys,

I'm here in SF, about to head off to bed, surgery is tomorrow at 7:30. Thanks for the good wishes, I'll keep you posted.

Night, y'all.
Julie

Julie, good luck with your surgery tomorrow. My D and myself will be saying extra prayers for you. May the healing begin.. :D On your mark, get set, Go Pain FREEEEEEEE. Your Friend, Menzie
It's almost 11:30, I hope you are sleeping.LOL

Julie, hope all has gone well for you today. :D

Hey all,

Wanted to let you know I made it out of surgery just fine. Dr. Barbaro said my pirformis was quite enlarged and was compressing my sciatic nerve and it has a groove in it. There was something else about a blood vessel being squished up against the nerve but I haven't gotten the details on that yet. All I can say for the post surgical pain is YOWSA! It's a big incision and feels like someone took a baseball bat to my butt and hamstring. Other than that, it's lovely (snicker). All joking aside, the post surgical pain is pretty profound. I have a cute little cane that I decorated with stickers that is helping a lot. I can walk without it, but it's easier with it. Lots of staples. Lots.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I'm all good here.

Julie

Julie, glad to hear you are doing well. I wish you the quickest recovery. Hope you are having a nice day. Besides the surgical pain, do you feel any changes from your original pain? I know way toooo sooon Menzie

Great to hear from you Julie. I know you are glad to have it over with. How long were you in surgery? I will be very interested to hear about the vein pressing up against the sciatic nerve as I have the same thing which Dr. Filer pointed out to lme on the MRN. He plans to separate the nerve from the vein when I have surgery.. Let me know what Dr. Barbaro did once you know.

Are you still in hospital? When do you think you will go home? Is your fiancee with you?

I am just so happy for you as it has been such a long haul for you.

I will be talking to Dr. Filler on the 16th about surgery and so the decision will probably be then or never. I am leaning toward having it.

Keep us posted. Recovery can be up and down. Margie did seem to do quite well, better than most so I will be wishing you the same result.

Take care. Let everyone wait on you hand and foot.

Love
Shirley

I think I was in surgery for 2 or 3 hours. As far as a difference in the pain, it is way too soon to tell (it's only been 2 days). Since I have this on both sides, I have my right side to compare the pain to, which will be a good way to gauge how much/if the pain changed. To be honest, right now the staples/post surgical pain is so loud, it's all I can really feel. Once the surgical pain lets up, I'll let you know. Right now I'm just doing my best not to p*****f my left side. Yeeesh. I really didn't expect it to be so painful. But today is better than yesterday, which I am grateful for. I'll be even more grateful when the staples are out of my butt.

Shirley, I will let you know what is up with the blood vessel. I'm really curious myself. It's sounding more and more like you are leaning towards the surgery. If so, you're gonna do great. You're touch and resilient and I know you'll be better than okay.

take care,
Julie

Hi I read your story regarding your piriformis surgery and I too have been suffering for over 3 years and been to several Dr’s who couldn’t confirm that it was my very small disc bulge do no answers until finally one listened to me about my tender butt pain and tailbone pain, long story short I was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome. I have had 2 injections that caused severe pain and no true relief so now I am probably looking at surgery. I’m very scared but I can’t continue to live like this. Did you fully recover? I’m near Santa Monica so at my next Dr appointment I will ask about Dr Filler but very curious to know how you are doing today? It’s been s few years...how are you?

Julie:

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Thanks for letting us know so soon that you made it through. I was just saying to Shirley "I wonder how Julie is?" and she told me to check the forum. I guess I didn't expect to hear from you so soon!

I'm sure you are in a lof of pain and I know you don't like pain pills but don't be a hero. They will help you recover quicker because you'll be in less stress and able to concentrate on getting better rather than all the pain. But, I'm not sure why someone like me, a real esate appraiser, is giving this advice to a nurse??!! Anyho, please take it easy. Take Shirley's advice and let everyone wait on you hand and foot for sure. That's one small benefit :)

Leesa

hi, I'm a Newbie,

I had bilateral piriformis surgery in Dec. 07. Things seemed painfully normal at first, but now into the 6th month, I realize that I have plataeued in my healing level. I also have something I have never seen before on any forum and would appreciate a response. If anyone goes into Butt pain any time they lie down as I do day or night and it is always a 10.

Has anyone had a 2nd surgery and what were the results?

Patricia

Leesa,

Trust me, I feel no shame about taking pain meds for this. When I get up to walk from point A to B I spit out profanities when I weight my leg the wrong way. My mission for today is to not move. Wish me luck.

Julie

Wow! Sounds like you are having lots of pain. I am still wondering where you are--still in hospital or in S.F. somewhere. I hope your fiancee is wiht you. Hope you haven't moved today--that would be impressive.

Really hope the pain lets up soon. Have you talked to Margie?

Hang in. You are also a tough lady when I think of what you endured that night you were stuck on a rock ledge. Thanks for your kind words to me.

Keep us posted.

Shirley

Patricia, welcome to the group but sorry it is for the fact that you are having so much postsurgery pain. I don't remember anyone talking about big time pain when llying down but I may be wrong. I have not had surgery yet so I am not one to ask.

Who did your surgery?

Hope some others get on, who have had surgery, to respond to you. Take care.

Shirley

Hi to all,

We just got back from a week of celebrating our 25th anniversary!!! 25 years was actually 3.5 years ago, just as I was beginning the whole pain process, so we've been putting off the trip and celebration with hopes that I would eventually be able to enjoy it. The trip was well worth the wait and we both enjoyed every minute of it. We spent our days hiking, doing a fairly strenuous 4 hour hike, which I did quite well and without pain! Candle light dinner, served by the river, hiking through the rain and cloud forests, sitting by the pool, what a way to celebrate. I'm thankful to be married to the world's most wonderful and patient man!

Julie, glad to hear you made it through surgery. Keep remembering that the whole healing process takes time, lots of it. I agree, let others wait on you hand and foot and be easy on yourself! Keep us posted.

Patricia, welcome to our group. I had bilateral surgery 7 months ago, but did not experience the kind of post surgery pain you've described. Have you talked with the surgeon about it?

Shirley, sounds like you are close to making a decision. Hope things go well for you. Thanks for asking about the SI joint. It is much better. I talked to my PM doctor again and we agreed to put treatment off, since I'm usually pain free. We decided that the increased pain level came directly as a result of playing in the ocean waves, something I will never do again. After that, I took a few weeks off from walking and exercising and slowly the pain subsided.

Hope everybody is having a good day
Donna

Julie:

Good luck :) and profanity got me through as well.

Donna:

WOW, I'm so happy for you. Congrats on 28.5 years and a great vacation with no pain. Sounds like it was wonderful.

Patricia:

Welcome. I had surgery on one side in Jan of this year but I haven't experienced that pain you describe either. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Has it been suggested that you have a second surgery?

Shirley:

Sounds like you're up next...........at least you have lots of people here who can help you through if you decide to go ahead.

All:

Well, I took a mile walk yesterday, farthest I've walked at one time in around 9 months. Had some pain but not bad. I think I need to get out there more often and work on getting back into shape. I'm sure it will help in the long run.

One question for those of you who had surgery months ago....I find that when I sneeze I still get a pretty sharp pain in the butt.....anyone else?

Thanks,

Leesa