My daughter is 7 yrs old and her mouth and throat hurt very bad and it's the 11th day after surgery. She whimpers in her sleep, if she does not wake up in a fit of pain, several times a night. She did go on zithromax on day 5 and completed it. She still sips lots of water and stays hydradated but has stopped eating the little food that she was eating because of pain. It hurts at the tonsils site but also down the left side of her throat consistently - burns and feels like there is a hair that pulls down as she swallows. The jaw hurts both lower and upper, I can understand that but not the pain going all the way down the left side of her throat. I have not found one other person who has experienced this, is this normal, should she bre checked again? I need to have her eat so she can go back to school.

That does sound very unusual, and it sounds to me like be an issue with her stitches. I think it might be a good idea for you to see her physician and have her checked again, especially since she's stopped eating. I don't think there's any reason to be worried, but there is cause for concern. Whatever it is, I'm sure they'll be able to take care of the situation pretty quickly, but it's a good idea to get her eating again as soon as possible. I wish you luck!

Keep us posted on your daughter's condition too! I'm curious to see how this turns out.

HI:
Ouch...I feel so bad for her, and you as a mom. Get her to a doc right away and don't settle for general answers. I would also get a second opinion (consult). Have they tried a different pain medication for her? It doesn't seem that, with today's technologies and medicines she should not be suffering like that. Insist on additional post-surgical testing. It is true that a sore throat is typical during the recovery period, usually the first week. However, because of her age, she is not able to fully articulate her situation and symptoms. Therefore, you have to be her advocate. There could be something else going on. True, children can be overstated and dramatic at times, but you can't be sure of that. Get some confirmations and then you will know how to respond to her. But be SURE that the surgery was successful first....I'd like to hear what you find out. I hope she will be feeling better soon.