A recent situation in my life has caused me to research the chances of pregnancy from pre-ejeculate without penetration.

My girlfriend and I were having foreplay where we were "stimulating" eachother with our hands. I had some pre-eleculate fluid on the tip of my penis which she touched. We waiting for about 30 seconds and dressed ourselves. She wasn't sure if she touched her vulva with her hand while she was dressing herself.

I did ejeculate a day before but urinated several times before this instance.

Now here is the interesting bit, many claim that pre-ejeculate contains sperm. This can only happen if semen is present in the urethra from a previous ejeculation and the pre-ejeculate picks this up along the way. Urinating after ejeculations can clean the urethra and leave a toxic environment which sperm cannot live in. That is one purpose of pre-ejeculate. This fluid cannot start off with sperm in it as it is not located anywhere near the testicles where sperm are produced and is released a long time before actual ejaculation.

My next point is that IF the pre-ejeculate contained sperm it would be miniscule compared to the approx 150million in normal semen. Now in the normal case about a few thousand make it to the egg due to the environment hostile to sperm where millions die. Now when you apply this to sperm in pre-ejeculate how can someone get pregnant? Surely if millions can be killed how could a much less amount survive this environment without all of the nutrients found in semen but not in pre-ejeculate?

Let me know if you have anything to add about my situation or findings/ideas.

Thanks.

Hi Dakine,

Your reasoning appears sound and accurate.

The problem is, it only takes one sperm.  

Just touching her vulva wouldn't cause pregnancy.  Sperm needs to get INTO her vagina not just near it.

I understand what you mean, it only takes one sperm to fertilise the egg but by my understanding you would need a certain number and above of sperm to actually survive the journey as they all get picked off from the environment. Eg. if several million die over the course of the journey then any number less than that wouldn't make it to the end. Well that's how I think about it,

One sperm out of millions has to survive to fertilize the egg. There is no reason as to why it can't survive by itself.

20 runners are in a race. During the event some get hurt and have to drop out so that only ONE completes the race.

One guy runs the same course alone.. He completes the race.

In both cases she's pregnant.

Ah I see now, so a single sperm could in theory survive the entire journey in ideal conditions? Thanks for your replies Dan.

Even in not so ideal conditions a single sperm can survive. They really don't have any "teamwork" as they travel.

But yes, one can survive the whole journey.