my 13 year old son is complaining of erections (not sexually stimulated) that last an entire period during class at school. Anyone having similar issues? He is embarassed and says they are also painful. Someone said 'tapping' on it might help.

These are normal. His body basically needs to learn to control them and it just takes time. Any stimulation, such as from clothing or anything can cause this to happen.

Tapping on it? I don't know about that. Tapping on it in class could bring attention to his erection. Usually you try to think about something like cleaning the garage or anything to distract your focus.

Welcome to puberty! Boys his age can get erections (often) for many, many - or even no - reason. It is a part of being his age. He will, most likely, discover masturbation soon - if he hasn't already - and this could actually help control them a little more, and at least make them occur less frequently.

Until then, it's important for him to know that everything happening to his body right now is completely normal - and, for the most part, completely out of his control. Tell him this though - chances are very good that no one else notices when he gets an erection. If he just ignores it, and lets it go away on his own, no one will know. If he tries to readjust it, or hide it the only thing that does is draw attention to it...then people are more likely to notice. I had that little talk with my step-son (who ALWAYS put his hands over it, or otherwise tried to hide it all the time around that age) and after than I NEVER again noticed that he had an erection because he didn't draw attention to it anymore.

Good luck - and let us know if you - or your son - has anymore questions!