Does your love for another person totally depend upon the other person's love for you (first); Is a persons love for you a direct result of the love that you give to them? Many times we love back because someone loved us first. But then we depend on that other person to keep our love alive. Is that the way to do it, or should we continue to show love to a person, unconditionally, which naturally keeps them loving us? Granted, some people (sociopaths and the like) may not be capable of loving others. I'm not including them in this. How does it work for you? Many young girls say that they want a baby so that they can be loved. We know that's not correct. A baby actually bonds with a mother as a result of the mother's love and care for the baby. Will a man love a woman unconditionally and vice versa? I believe that a person who loves other people unconditionally will inevitably be loved back, in some form or fashion. If we all just loved each other without expecting anything back, our world would be a much better place to live in. What do you think?

The real question I think you are getting at is: is unconditional love possible??? The answer is yes. Me and my fiance have only been together for 3 1/2 years but, there is nothing that he could do that would make me stop loving him. There are certain deal breakers in the relationship which he is fully aware of but, the end of a relationship does not mean the end of love. There are a lot of things that people are capable of still loving people over but I can't think of one thing that could really make a person stop loving someone else. Even sociopaths which you say are incapable of love always have that one person weather it be a parent or a wife that they do love unconditionally. This is just one person's view though so I don't know how much it really matters.

Unconditional love, hmmm. My marraige almost ended back in 03 because of internet pornography. It got to the point where my husband was interacting with women he met on line, and they weren't talking politics either!! Our computer was loaded with this stuff and my husband would get mad everytime our guy had to come over and clean it out at 50 bucks a whack (pardon the pun) He tried to blame me saying it was my recipies or my gardening forum or my Medical sites. One day, our guy sat him down and showed him all the c**p that he was allowing himself to put on the computer, he still didn't learn. Then i started to find womens names and phone numbers in is day planner, and get this, with stars next to them!! May be 2 stars, 1 star, some have 4 or 5 stars. I moved out. I run our office, my husband has his own business so i agreed to come over and keep the office going. It was close to tax time and he didn't want to hire anyone. I found bank records where he was joined on a dating site, to the tune of 29.95 a month. I asked him about it and he said he would stop, this went on for a year.
Long story short, i agreed to come home after a year. He still messes around on line, but somehow i don't care. I don't look and i don't ask. If i stumble on a phone number, i don't question it at all. I love my husband but not with the breathtaking admiration that i used to have. He truly hurt my feelings and had no remorse. I have my own lap top, so i really don't go on his anymore, maybe just for business stuff. But i do have to go to his e-mail to get info and i still see stuff, but i don't even go there.
We are some what happy, we have a beautiful home, a prosperous business, many friends and a good family, but my heart ia not 100% in the marraige. We just don't talk about the elephant in the room.

This story makes me sad just because there are so many people going through similar situations I think that it is probably not a healthy relationship but I guess if you are happy then whatever floats your boat. I am just sorry you and your husband aren't as happy as you used to be would almost scare me out of marriage except my fiance knows better lol hope things get better for you :)

Confused401...Your opinion means a lot. It is very refreshing to hear about a long-term relationship that is based upon unconditional love, with realistic deal breakers. That's real life. Unconditional does not mean that you allow yourself to be abused or that you sacrifice your principals. I agree that it does mean that you will probably always love that person. Thanks for sharing that refreshing, encouraging view. I hope that you and your partner are continuing to do well. Please let me know.

Unconditinal love...heh, i thought i had that, until she cheated on me. I still care about her, but not love...it just shook my faith in love, but not completely thankfully.

DESK-still going strong and holding on. it is hard in today's society to believe in this kind of love that is until you find it. with half of all marriages failing because of stupid stuff its a wonder that anyone has this but I feel blessed to be in this situation, granted we are broke like everyone else, the real key is do not fight about the things you have no control over and be thankful for what you do have I thank my higher power that I found the best man in the world and I am so thankful his ex-wife screwed up or this wonderful man would not be in my life.

IAN-I know it is hard to believe right now and I know if I was in your shoes I probably would not believe me either but there is someone out there who will treat you right and love you the way I am talking about. If she cheated that just means that she was not the one for you my fiance had a long 10 year lesson in that with his ex-wife. so please do not lose hope you sound like a wonderful person and the world will have lost a lot for you to not believe in love anymore :)

I still believe that real love is achievable. I have observed it in the relationship of others. I have seen both men and women who are totally and unconditionally in love with each other, thru good times and bad. It's not perfect, which would not be realistic, but it is good, healthy and long-lasting. We shouldn't give up, as hopeless as it can seem, it is possible. Best wishes to everyone.

I agree that real love is possible. But I don't think that it is the majority of all the love (if I can put it this way). It is becoming rare thing to see out there that two persons are loving them selfs with no conditions. I really believe that this is possible, and that there is always someone out there that you can find and love. Problem is not everybody finds this.
Confused has a nice example of this, and I hope it stays this way.
Also life is much easier when they love each other.

I think that just because someone cheats on you or is generally a cheater or the relationship breaks up does not mean that there wasn't true love or that you aren't still in love with that person. I have been in a relationship that ended due to circumstances beyond my control. I realized that the other person was just not right for me, ultimately. I wish her nothing but love and the best, but she is not someone I can be with. I think that's true for a lot of people, even if it doesn't always feel that way.

Well healthandfitnessguy, I think you are right. You can be with someone and you can love that person, but something can happen and than you realize that you are just not meant to be together. It even does not mean cheating, just something you are realizing that your life is not ok this way. You or your partner need a change and you split. But there was true love, but it just didn't last long.