Four weeks ago I started to experience some symptoms. I think I might have colon cancer and I am so afraid to go to doctor. I am afraid that my worries will be for a good reason. The thing is that my father has died of a colon cancer. By the way, I am 36.

Before everything I must tell you that you have to go to see your doctor, you need to see if your doubts are true or false. The fact that your father has died of a colon cancer is something that you should really think about because you have more chances of getting it then others. Now, I don't want to scare you, I just want you to realize that the problem will not go away if you pretend that everything is ok. Colon cancer is the third leading cause of cancer in males and the fourth leading cause of cancer in females. When it's detected in the early stages, colon cancer is usually curable. The cancer usually begins as polyps, the abnormal growths in the inner lining of the colon or rectum. Even though the polyps are not cancer, they can become one over the years. That is why it is important to detect it early. Diagnostic tests for colon cancer are tests for blood in the stool, colonoscopy, blood tests, x-rays, ultrasound and many others. Treatment for colon cancer can involve surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy.