Hello I am a 19 year old male. Sex history: 1 drunken encounter, was too drunk to even get it up, but girl still tried to put it in, didnt work              Currently: girlfriend of 5 months, she was tested STD free, (she tested because she was assaulted previously) Anyways, after my drunken encounter I noticed these small red bumps that showed up, i dont recall having them really, but they are usually just flat, but they turn into bigger bumps after I shave. Ive had them for 8 months now id say, but I dont know what to think of it anymore, i am honestly just a mess and am not sure what to do with my situation. I have done free clap/gonorrhea testing at my school and was negative for both. I am scared to go somewhere to get tested, and don't want to be weird about using my insurance which is linked to my parents. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? I have always had really sensitive skin if that means anything (rashs on head as a baby, dandrift, etc) The red bumps itch sometimes, especially when im at work wearing jeans and doing manual labor outside. This picture is of my pubic area (just above base of penis).

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** explicit and graphic content*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi Guest,

Without an exam, you likely have a case of folliculitis.  It's an infection of the hair follicles cause by shaving.  From your description it is UNLIKELY to be an STD.

Try warm compresses to help them drain.  Stop shaving for a while too.

If they continue you may require antibiotics.  So see your doctor.

Okay, I will do both of those as you said.

However, I have had this for 8 months as i have stated, shouldnt it have gone away on its own by now? I mean yeah I have done nothing to try to treat it, so maybe I need to.

Thanks for the reply!

Folliculitis can be very difficult to treat - without antibiotics.

If it has been 8 months you really should see your doctor.

One other thing, use a plain soap, no fancy body washes, etc.

Hello

Okay, I will start using plain soap. On another forum-like website like this a user suggested that it was just from shaving and he recommended that i didnt shave for a few weeks and when i did to apply hydrocortisone cream after shaving. What are your thought on this?

Once again, thanks so much for your reply! It means a lot.

Hydrocortisone is a steroid, to stop inflammation.

Folliculitis is an infection. You'd need an antibiotic.

Stop shaving for now. If it continues, stop second guessing and see a doctor.

I will definitely stop shaving for now. However, I am suppose to be taking minocyline for my acne, but i am so terrible at taking it daily that it probably doesn't do anything. If I start taking it religiously daily, will this help my problem?

It might help. Minocycline is an antibiotic and can help clear up skin infections.

Okay, and seriously thank you so much for the replies! Also are there any OTV antibiotics/creams that you suggest I use? Or just do as you already stated.

That is about my last question for now, thanks so much!

I'd rather you saw your doctor. 8 months is a long time.

It can often require PRESCRIPTION antibiotics.

Okay I am going to the doctor in a week and a half. Till then what exactly do you consider "warm compresses". I looked it up and its sort of all over on how to do it. Like heat up a towel? Or just get a towel, run it in water, and compress the area ,etc. I am just confused really.