This is a my personal experience that will hopefully encourage others. I was 50 years of age, overweight, constantly worrying my business and taking little care of my body and healthy. My company mandated me to go for a extensive work-up (standard procedure) at our company. I came out of the doctor's office frustrated. My sugar was elevated - not high enough for diabetes, but my doctor said i will likely get diabetes soon. My cholesterol was elevated significantly. Then I saw all the pictures and complications related to diabetes....stroke, heart attack, amputated legs. I said to myself ''no way, man...''. The biggest problem was to take action. I was used to ''la dolce vita'' and cutting down everything I used to enjoy was painful....instead of eggs and bacon I had fruits and oats for breakfast...instead of french fries, I had chicken breasts and salad for lunch, etc. I started working out regularly - 5 days daily, first only 20 min and then I gradually increased my efforts and length. I have been doing to routine for a year now and just ran my first half-marathon!!!! My doctor congratualted me: My sugars are within normal values and my cholesterol dropped significantly. Also, blood pressure is under control! Point: there is hope. Do not wait until it is too late!!!! Keep the fight. Regards to all.

That is an inspirational story!  Thank you for sharing it.  It is a great possibility with losing weight alone that a person can control their diabetes and bring the blood sugar under control.  It is a lifelong battle that a person, once diagnosed, has to keep working to keep the weight off, eat healthy, and exercise regularly.  Diabetes doesn't go away, but it can be managed and a person can lead a healthy life by taking the bull by the horns and working at it. Does anyone else have a story they would like to share about successfully controlling their blood sugar and how they did it?  You can share even if it's about the daily struggles you have with cravings and trying to get motivated.

Apprentice

Let me congratulate you!!!! This is definitely the way to go and you should definitely serve as a role-model for all diabetic patients. Your story definitely proves that it is possible to avoid diabetes and healthy diet and healthy life-style is the way to go!. gain, sincere congrats and wish you all the best. Tom