I'm a 43 year old female, 5'6", 220 lbs, relatively active (walking, elliptical, weight lifting), smoker (less than 10 cigarettes per day and on the road to quitting very soon). About a year ago, I went to my primary care physician complaining of burning back and abdominal pain in my right side, upper quadrant area. My doctor told me it was Shingles-No Rash and sent me off with an anti-viral medication that did nothing. I went back to her, and she then suggested I meet with my gastroenterologist. The gastro doc thought the symptoms sounded like gallstones and suggested I have an ultra sound, HIDA scan and consult with a surgeon. The ultra sound game back: no stones. I cannot recallt he results of the HIDA scan, but it was "normal". However, during the procedure I experienced pretty severe pain. My gastro doc then ordered a colonoscopy. where he found a couple of small polyps--both biopsied and came back benign, non-cancerous.

I am still experiencing the pain as described above, now having some sharper RUQ abdominal pain from time to time. It does not seem to coincide with any partcular food I eat (greasy or otherwise). I'm also finding that I am quite bloated by the end of the day, and normally the pain is worse at the end of the day (between 6 and 8pm). My stress level at work is HUGE. The pain hasn't stopped me from my normal activities (work, exercise, shopping, etc.), but it is becoming troublesome.

I saw my gastro doc on 12/19/06, and he feels its my colon spasming/IBS. He suggested eating 10-20 g of fiber each day. He had said previously that if the colonoscopy came up inconclusive, he would schedule a CAT scan.

I got in for an abdominal/pelvic CAT scan on 12/20/06 and hope to have the results today.

Anyone have similar symptoms? Any idea what the heck is going on? Quite honestly, it's kind of scary.

Yea, they told me Poly-cystic ovarian syndrome.

You sound exactly like me. Although this has been going on for over 3 yrs and there is no diagnosis yet. I have been scoped from top and bottom. 2 CT scans. multiple ultrasounds. and multiple HIDA scans. I still have this nagging pain which is never too unbearable but always bothering. Do help me if you find a diagnosis.

Hi, I have very similar symptoms and all my tests came back negative as well. Was wondering if you ever got a resolution to this issue. Hope you are well.

I have the same thing...have had many test only to hear its IBS and to stop all dairy and up my fiber intake,,also on antispasmotic drug...When I read the symptoms of IBS it doesnt seem to be what I have... Its one for the show Mystery Diagnosis!