My 9 year old grandson has been diagnosed with scarlet fever. How he got it? I didn’t know that he can contact this disease in school?? Is it possible that someone there infected him? What we should do now?

I had scarlet fever when I was 14. I don't remember much from that time, I know it can come about as untreated strep throat. It’s more common than we think. I was out of school for a month, but I do know that I took medication for it and slept a ton. You should take him to see a doctor, he will know.

A good friend of mine had a young son who had scarlet fever. Since friday both my girls have both been looking very very flushed, quiet, lethargic, had a temperature and my eldest daughter found it extremley difficult to swallow. She still seems choked up but is doing better thanks to calpol. My daughter has been crying on going to bed and sweatring tons. I know this is more than a viral infection. Does this sound like scarlet fever. Her tongue is now all white /Looks thrush like. I am worried. I now also am very flushed and have an extremley bad headache and sore throat and feeling very very hot. Can adults get it? Is this just a viral infection or have we contracted this fever?

I had scarlet fever as a child. It is caused by the Streptococcus pyogenes bacteria and like strep throat, is highly contagious. Symptoms are high fever, diffuse rash, and strawberry tongue. The rash can last as long as ten days and often is followed by peeling of skin.

Has your daughter been on an antibiotic? If so, it could be oral thrush. A white tongue could also be caused by dehydration, so if she has been sweating and has a fever make sure she drinks a lot of water.

Apparently ots just a viral infection shes caught ( phew!) but thank you Was just abit worried.