MAYBE I'M DOING THIS WRONG, BUT EVEN IF I HAD TESTICLES, IT WOULDN'T BELONG IN THIS FORUM. I CAN'T MOVE THIS POST!! I happened to have scratched my upper inner thigh today and noticed a large (1 1/2" by 1") warm, reddened, tender lump that is easily moved around. I have been walking up to 2 hours a day for exercise lately and sometimes to right to bed after that (I work night shift) and have to admit, sometimes go to bed after sweating without showering (I know....yuck). I'v read some posts about sebaceous cysts and also ingrown hairs. Could this be it? I put a warm compress on it and it's going down a little. Do I need to see a doctor or is this something I can handle on my own?

It is highly unlikely to be a sebaceous cyst on that spot, an ingrown hair more likely, especially due to friction form sweating and walking a lot.

It will probably go away on its own but it will take time. I often develop these and they are so annoying. Continue to put warm compresses, it should bring the puss to the surface and you may be able to squeeze it then and find a hair.

You may get an antibiotic ointment and apply it for a few days or a week. If it’s not ana ingrown hair, it may just go down after antibiotic ointment.

Try different stuff. I don’t think you need to see a doctor about this, only if it becomes way too painful and if you can’t manage it on your own.

Hi there. 

Are there a possibility to think about a sebaceous cyst removal? Because I know that I was thinking about it very often when I had an issue with it three times in my life. I know that, if this won't go away, you should go and see your doctor and often, they will take a sample of the pus and send it into a laboratory.

Once when lab technicians get it, they can identify the particular bacteria that is causing your infection, since I am sure that you are dealing with an infection. 

In my case, doctors recommended a draining, because,  it may be enough to cure the infection. But also, they can prescribe antibiotics as well, if the infection is larger. 

I keep gettin large lumps on inner thigh they are red and blue and swollen and range from an inch in diamater to golf ball size, they take like 3 months to heal on their own. They are extremely painful. What are they and what do I do to relieve the pain and swolleness? can you email me please at **** as I have one now and it is killin me

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

Hello I'm from Malta and I have a problem about thigh cyst it's very pain full Avery week I have one or two in my thigh I went to my doctor and he tell me only thing that I have to do is to take antibiotics I don't know but to take 2 course every month I thing is to much for my health some times I let the cyst explode alone and then no more pain. So now is to much I am suffering for 15 years with this pain what can I do help me pls thanks

I get these cysts often and they are painful! I have had them for more than 10 years. My tips are as follows:
1. Take Zinc evey day
2. Don't lance without a sterile needle. Go to a pharmacist and get insulin needles to lance. You could get staph infection and that could be deadly!
3. Cover w/ medium sized bandaids with antibiotic cream inside.

Good Luck. I know they SUCK!

I went to my dermatologist that gave me cream and a maintenance antibiotic...it's viral he says and it worked great...went away and I don't get them anymore....go to the dermatologist!

Why is it no matter how hard I squeeze this thing it only oozes a little and never fully pops.

Hi I'm pretty young and just started these things about a year ago. Most of them I just pop on my own. But I always get so many. The worst part is that they leave a deep purple scar or something? Any suggestions for that?

Hi!!

I know what u mean, I have a scar on my upper thigh by my hip that is absolutely disgusting. Let me know if u found out anything about how to get it to go away.

Does anyone know what these are called, a cyst like bump that leaves ugly purple scars?

I have been getting these inner thigh cysts for about 30 years and have learned that whenever I wear blue jeans it seems shortly after that, sure enough I get it again...If I go without jeans...no cysts....I feel for everyone..people have no idea how painful they are...and yes sometimes when you lance it alot comes out...and sometimes not alot comes out...you need to hit it in the right spot,,basically the center core of it...but give yourself a test and go without jeans for awhile and see if you also are like me...I live in Florida and always wears shorts, but once in awhile I throw a pair of jeans on and BAMM within 3 days I feel that cyst coming on and sure enough it comes....
Good Luck to you all

I get similar cysts in my inner thighs, and I've been dredging the internet for a few hours; all I've been able to find is this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidradenitis_suppurativa
Apparently, HS is poorly researched, incredibly rare, and impossible to treat effectively. I don't think it's what I have, unless I'm in the early stages, but smurfymom may want to talk to a doctor about it.
Does anyone know of any possibilities, aside from ingrown hairs? I'd like to avoid going to a doctor about this, if I can.

I actually have been suffering from the same problem for the last 6 years. I went to the Doctors when i recieved my first one and it was roughly around 3"x1 1/2" and was one of the most painful things I have ever been through. I went to a dermitoligist and he told me it was an ingrown hair (which I am now starting to believe that they are sebaceous cysts) but they put me on the anti-biotic kephlexin which worked up to 2-3 years but now I am immune to it...I have heard recently that the only way to remove them is to have them surgically removed. I have found that unbearably hot baths (extremely, extremely hot, to the point where you think you might recieve burns from getting in the tub) seem to be the best way to drain them but, this is only a temporary treatment...I would highly suggest seeing a Doctor and getting as many specialist referrals as possible...

im 15, and i have been getting them for a few years now. same thing. i dont know how you get them. apprerently its genetic? and everyone on my moms sie has them....well....yea it might be the jeans. im going jeanless for a week to test that