Hello all, I had a stent put in monday april 8 2013 after I had my stone lasered.  I was told to leave it in for 5-6 days, but come saturday, I am running a warm bath and removing it myself.  If there is pain, from what I'm reading on stents with strings it's not bad at all, the pain won't be as bad as what I'm feeling when I pee.  There is burning and HUGE pain in my kidneys every time.  I also read the pain is because the stent is forcing the Ureteral tube to not close at the bladder when you pee and causes some to flow back into the kidney which causes pain,  I was prescribed Tylenol 3's and they do not work for me so I tried my morphine I got a bit ago and that doesn't work as well.  All in all I am more scared to pee now than I am to remove the stent myself.  I brace for the pain but it is unbarable all the time, even though it only lasts a few seconds.

im getting resistance when I start pulling and feel pain, and its deterring me from proceeding. Feels like the open end of a straw is scraping outwards as im pulling, do I need to just give it a good tug to get it started and passed that initial pain?

I had a laser procedure to remove two stones in my left kidney.  After seven days the order said that I or the physician could remove the urethral stent.  The string was a nuisance so I waited exactly 7 days and I pulled it out myself.  I was so worried about pulling that stent out for 7 days but when I pulled it out it didn't hurt at all.  You are not supposed to jerk it out.  Just a steady gentle pull until it came out. 

I just pulled out my stent last night, and while it was not pleasant, it was not as bad as it could have been. Here are a few tips on removing the stent:

1.  Take your pain medications before starting to dull the sensation and to help yourself relax.

2.  As someone else said, do it in the shower under warm water to help you relax (and see no. 3).

3.  Build up a good full bladder and begin to urinate as you pull out the stent. This was the most important part in my opinion. The relaxation of the sphincter muscles, plus the sensation of the urine flowing through the urethra made the initial pulling pain/discomfort much more tolerable.

4.  If you are male, pull it out at a slightly upward angle from horizontal while you are standing. If you google for a cross-section diagram of the path of the urethra inside your body, it seems that pulling horizontally or slightly angled up will minimize bends in your urethra and therefore will minimize the sidewall pressure on the inside of the urethra as the stent and thread are pulled.

Just begin to urinate, and the tension on the thread/stent will loosen. Just continue to pull at a constant rate, and it should not take more than a few seconds and you're done! Hope this helps anyone who is nervous about pulling it out.

I'm replying because I pulled out my own ureteral stent last week (male). The comments on the forum were helpful to me so I thought I would add to them. Normally my doctor would remove it, however I was on vacation in another country and had no other option. He recommended I remove it myself. The hardest part of pulling it out is psyching yourself up to do it. I spent about 20 minutes in the shower contemplating then finally got the courage. There was no pain but the feeling of it coming out is like nothing I can explain! I did it in one steady motion and the stent came out quickly and easy. I felt great after, I was laughing out loud because it was such a weird experience. I took a a Percocet and a Ketorolac (NSAID...works great for kidney stone pain) about 30 mins before pulling the stent out as a precaution.

I read some people experience pain 30mins-4hrs after removing the stent. I didn't have any pain (maybe because of the meds?). Once the stent was out I felt like myself again and 100% better. I was really nervous about going to the bathroom after it was out but it was a normal pain free pee. It has been over a week and I have had no problems. Hope this helps anyone who has to pull out their own stent. I read mostly negative stories about it, but my experience with the stent removal went really well. So if you have to remove your own stent, don't worry! ...the 3 seconds of weirdness are worth how great you will feel once it's out.

I'm a girl and just removed mine yesterday at home. It was incredibly easy and took no longer than 10 seconds. I never heard of the "lawnmower" approach, so I just pulled at a normal pace and it was over with quickly. It feels weird coming out, but I don't feel like there was any pain. I took one pain pill and a bladder relaxer 30 minutes before. Afterwards I had a little bit of pain in my kidney, but I just sat down for 30 minutes or so watching tv to keep my mind off it. It's now the next day and I don't feel anything! I've had a stent in me for 3 months, so I was terrified to take mine out, but I'm in absolutely no  pain at all.

So I had a 6mm stone removed by Urteroscopic Stone Removal (the claw) and had a stent placed in me. The stent starts in my kidney goes through ureter and ends in my bladder. There are 2 strings taped to my private. I was instructed to remove this myself in 3 days. I am a 36 yr. old male by the way. So after researching I found some to say the pain was unbearable and others to say it was a breeze, I will explain what advice I was given and what happened. 

1st- Take your prescribed pain meds Loritab, Percocet, Vicaden etc. 2 HRS PRIOR

2nd- Take over the counter Naproxin for the pain and inflamation (this is supposed to be superior to Ibuprofen for this matter, again 2 HRS PRIOR

3rd- Run a tub of warm to hot water to relax those areas as well as relax yourself, relax for 15 min. or so it should help dialate those areas. Dont laugh but it took me almost 5hrs. to work up the courage to do this, LITERALLY. I had to keep running more hot water as it kept getting cold.

4th- Practice breathing techniques- deep breath through nose and slowly out of mouth, you will feel your heartrate slow a bit. I was so scared my heartrate was through the roof, this really helped me.

So finally my wife convinced me that we have to get pass this part as I have wasted half of her day as well as my own. I was really scared not knowing what to expect!! So I decided to lay face up on my side a bit so she would have access to pull it. As she started to pull she coached me through it such as I see the stent, were half way there, and FINALLY it was over!! It did not hurt as I was prepared for, it felt like I was urinating (kind of weird) but better than pain. I did not have any pain what so ever in my kidney, ureter, or bladder as I have heard others say they experienced muscle spasms afterwards. It was a relieved feeling knowing it was over. I was scared to urinate but I did not feel anymore pain than when the stent was in, it actually felt a little better (more natural). The blood was almost completely gone at that point. I am typing this one day after this experience and I feel normal like none of this ever took place. Hopefully this helps others as it helped me. I will do whatever is necessary to not have to experience another kidney stone again! Good luck to anyone going through this.

I'm going for surgery Wednesday but this Friday l'm getting out the stent will it be okay for the surgery

Had to remove my stent today and was extremely nervous.  I had read every post here trying to get information.  I followed the advice of taking a shower, having a full bladder and pulling while urinating.  I had also taken two Aleve but it was nothing!  It was literally over in 10 seconds with zero pain.  The nurse had said to take a very hot bath and keep heat on my back and I never had any of the pain and spasms some experienced.  It's the IDEA of removing a tube from your own body that is ten times more stressful than doing it!  

I had a golf ball size kidney stone removed recently. It kicked my ass for 5 months. Any how, a few days after, the doctors nurse called me and told me i could remove it myself.

Now i was scared to death. When the time came i was not sure if i could do it or not.

I pulled on the string and could feel it sliding out, no pain at all, just a weird sensation.

When it was all the way out i was amazed there was no pain. Had a great doctor.

Dr. Edwin Robey / Urology of Virginia in Virginia beach, a true professional.

No a fever is normally a sign of infection. I have had kidney stones every year for about 20 yrs. almost an excerpt on this. I would go back to doctors for antibiotics if he does not have any now. If u have some still to take keep taking them and go to hospital if fever gets over 101. You don't want to mess with an infection in a kidney. Hope this helps

So true. This is so easy to do once you get past the thought of doing it but the doctors just want you to have them do it so they can charge more for a 10 second process that you can do yourself. I am so happy to get the stent out I can't wait to pull it. Sometimes I worry it may be too soon but never have had a problem. I do the shower running way. I think this helps with keeping the area clean and less chance for infection.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I couldn't help but to laugh a little while reading this. I'm waiting patiently to remove my stent tomorrow and I feel like I'll spend 5 hours working up the courage as well! Reading your post makes me feel like I should just get in there and get it over with! :) I'm glad to hear that there wasn't much pain. I'm a 29 y/o petite female and I'm hoping that I have a good outcome as well.

I am an american with insurance!  I have an appointment tomorrow with a beautiful nurse who is going to do the deed.  Looking forward to it.

I'm male, I had TWO stents in, i removed them about an hour ago with the strings they left in place, using the hot water/tub suggestion someone else had on this site. i used a small dowel cut down to about 5 inches long and i twisted the strings around it and after submersing my body in the hot water, just pulled gently towards my knees and rolled the dowel slowly like a fishing reel. I was surprised at how fast the stents appeared and how quick it was over. having it done for me in office a couple years ago is what put the fear in me. I will ask for self/home removal if i ever have to do it again. hardly any pain or discomfort to speak of. Not as invasive as having the doc go in with a tool, look around for it then pull it back out.

good luck to anyone going through this.