I had Ureteroscopy up to my kidney and cystoscopy yesterday outpaitient in surgery. Doctor put in stent with string because he knew after my history I could take it out. My husband called his office this AM and doctor immediately called back and said Yes. Told me to call him anytime later today if there were any problems.
I went in the shower, ran hottish water on my back for 3 minutes and with a gentle tug, the whole thing came out. No pain, no blood and I feel great. It sounds a little scary, but when it comes out, what a great feeling. I jumped for joy (which I couldn't do yesterday). If your doctor says take it out, just go for it. Too much internet research isn't a great thing. Your doctor or his nurse will give you the best advice. And to all you stent removers - Feel well!

Thanks to all for the comments here. Helped to read about your experiences.
The stent I removed today was the second ureter stent I have had. Both kidney stone-related. FWIW, this time the doctor lasered out 5 stones. Last time the urologist yanked the stent out without warning or explanation. Ow. So this time I figured I'd do it myself.

Based on info from the doctor and this site, I took Cipro, AZO, and 800mg ibuprofen (4 Advil) two hours before the event. I took 2mg dilaudid an hour before. I filled the bathtub with hot water. I drank a fair amount of water. I downed an espresso (what the heck). I got in, unwrapped the bandages, and started pulling gently (LOVED the "suggestion" of yanking like starting a lawn mower- LOL). At first I was surprised at all the thread. Then suddenly there it was. Took maybe 15 seconds all told to get it out. A tiny bit of blood and mucus. It wasn't painful (or interesting) at all, except at the exit point (I'm a guy). A bit later I felt pin-point pains at the kidney and ureter. Now, an hour and a half later I have flank pain like bad gas. But I sure am happy to have it out!

Just prepare and go for it! You know you want it out!

Same guy again. The one who ended with "You know you want it out!". In the interest of telling the full story, I should say that after about an hour the pain started to build up. I spent most of the afternoon at a level of pain just shy of the run-to-the-ER level of kidney stone pain. Felt more like gas-type pain, with occasional pin pricks. Then like I had been kicked in the kidney. Didn't fade for a few hours. Nothing was comfortable. Even after a second 2mg dilaudid and another 4 Advil. I peed out a lot of blood clots. Lost track. Urologist seemed to think this was normal enough.

Removing the stent did not turn out to be the difficult part. Perhaps that is in some way reassuring?

I just removed my stint myself 7 days after it was put in. I am female, pulled it out in the shower and I did not even feel it as it was coming out. No pain during or after, just relief that it is out now.

I have had my stent in for 3 days and was told by my doctor to remove it today. He is an awesome doctor but didn't offer any advice.
Everyone who said the best way to do it is take pain meds, get in a hot shower with a full bladder, and start pulling as soon as you start peeing is telling the absolute truth. It took less than 10 seconds and no pain after at all. Thanks!!!

How the he'll are you ment to remove a kidney stent in a male on your own I would of thought it's near on impossible

Thank you everyone here who gave me the nerve to pull the stent out myself. 1:30am, was reading here, had already taken 2 pain pills and figured the house was asleep so if I yelped or cried they wouldn't hear me. It felt strange coming out, was shocked at how long it was, but it was definitely not painful. Glad it's out, no trip Thursday to see the PA and get it removed.

Thanks again

Had my op to have laser surgery to fragment kidney stones foolishly cut my strings that where attached to stents both sides got to go back in 3 wks to remove stone the other side in the same way worried in case i might have done damage cutting strings

Th for the info

Let me tell you the story about my pregnant daughter.she was 5 month pregnant , got a bad kidney stone , they had to place a stent up her to urine ate after the broke the stone ,for thepeice to come out, well when it was time to pull stent the string broke and part of the stent broke off whichis as bog as a straw, so then two days later in pain they placed a tube in her to drain her kidney bladder, this broke off they cannot get tube out because it coiled , she has to leave tube in until baby is born , then operate, so this tube can be bad folks if not researched and done by the right doctors.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have to do this in the morning. Thanks for this advice. I'm definently doing it this way thanks so much.

Ok just find the black string and pull it slowly u might feel discomfort but just keep pulling. You will know when it comes out.

These guys are right, the stress of worrying was much worse than the pain involved during the removal. I'd say 1 out of 10. Just make sure the shower is very warm. I didn't urinate during the removal but did immediately following. Fair amount of blood in the urine, but that stopped by the following day. I was thankful to have read this material before starting. Be prepared for some abdominal pain for a few hours, but nothing a couple of T-3s BIGGERwon't handle.

I had two kidney stones removed last week. The urologist installed a stent and was told to leave in for 5 days, this darn thing was very uncompfortble. Take your pain pills and use a heating pad or warm bath, this help. So, on the 5th day I got in a warm tub and pulled it out, I stared to pull, once you feel it start to move keep pulling until it's out. I was scared, it really didn't hurt. I did have some cramping for a few hours, but it felt so good when it comes out....

this helped out so much i took a zanaflex and a naprosen and sat in a tub of hot water aand it was very little pain at all... its been 45 minutes and no after pain yet but thanks for all the info