Having had a second stent put in two days ago, i kept wetting myself and couldn't understand why. I went to the bathroom to find that half of my stent was hanging out. So with renewed confidence after reading this article, i gently pulled it out. I had no pain, i haven't got any pain or cramps what so ever and my oh my, i feel better already so a BIG thank you! :)

I had a stint in and was told I had to take it out myself. Now as I told the surgery staff, I'm one of the world's biggest baby. But I did take the guys advice and it really worked! Get in the hot as you can shower with lots of pressure. My husband sat in the bathroom for support with a chair just in case I passed out. So he was waiting for the blood curling scream. I took it out without any pain what so ever!! I was impressed with myself. So I said OK you ready he said yes, so I put it outside the curtain. He was shocked. So I'm being honest. Good luck to all..

Thanks all. These posts helped me through my own stent removal at home. Mr Dr. said that I could remove it and I was a little leery about doing this at home. My Dr. said to take the pain meds and ibuprofen before removal. I did the removal in the shower standing up. Run the water nice and warm, pull down slow but steady. Feels strange and uncomfortable but not really that painful. I had a few inches of string taped to me that was the lead line connected to the stent. Don't be shocked, but the string is about 24 inches long and the stent is about 12 inches long. Takes a while before you see the stent but we you do you are almost done. Just keep slow and steady pulling, you will need to regrip a few times due to the length. Takes about 60 seconds total. Felt a lot better with the stent gone. Almost immediate relief. Prepare for some more pain throughout the day after the removal. Good luck. Rick

Thanks to everyone that has posted here. I am 58 yr white male that, with the encouragement gathered here removed two stents I've had in for the last 5 days. My stents were very uncomfortable, and I really didnt want to wait 2 more days to have them removed. Here's what I did: 2 hrs before removal I took 2 x 10/325 Norco; half hour before removal took 2x Ativan. When it was time got in hot shower, got good hold on 2 sets of strings and started to pull. I was standing. I paused twice because I was suprized how much force was required. My wife had a funny look on her face when the stents first showed up. Once stents where moving they pulled easily. My wife and I were both kind of stunned when it was over. I did this myself because I new I cared more about my pain level than my doctor. Observations- Don't try to remove like starting a lawn mower. Just pull steadily untill they move, it may take more force than you expect. I can honestly say it was uncomfortable, not painful. If you've endured KS, you cad do this, pain levels aren 't on the same street.God willing I won't have to have stents again, but if I do, I'llremove them myself.

It's interesting that many people basically feel nothing when they pull their stent out. As you said, the feeling of it coming out is like nothing you can explain. I could not feel the stent when it was in my ureter, and had no discomfort from it being in there. When I pulled it out, I felt nothing in my kidney or ureter. It was in the urethra; I've never felt something so intense... it felt more intense orgasm, but extremely unpleasant; that's how I'd describe it. Luckily it was over in a few seconds. However, I did have post-stent removal pain. It started 2 hours after I removed the stent; and lasted 4 hours. It was the worst discomfort I'd ever been in -- even worse than having a kidney stone moving through the ureter, if that were possible. Later that evening, I had another bout of the pain that lasted about 20-30 minutes. Then, no more pain after that.

I received my stint (with string) on 10/9/15 after surgery to remove 6mm stone that was missed by 1st urologist who lithrotripsied 11mm stone on 9/25/15 and removed stint on 10/1/15 and ignored my concern for excruciating pain I was still in. Anyway, 2nd urologist was a Godsend, to say the least. So I had the stint which was a constant pain in my kidney area and my groin area so I decided to try to remove it. I was very scared and worried but I took some ibuprofen and pyridium, let them kick in and got in a hot shower. It took me literally 1 second to remove stint and there was a strange sensation at first but NO PAIN! I pulled slowly and constant and feel so much relief i am so happy I did it. To those in pain or just constant discomfort, I truly feel for you. Some things that helped me were warm baths, laying on my side with a pillow between my knees, heating pad and Pyridium-I couldn't have done it without Pyridium. Prayers for hose suffering!

Wow thanks a lot for the input :) I had to laugh at a few parts about freaking out..... That would be me, I got mine Sunday after lazar they want it in for almost 2 weeks have another 10 days before appointment to remove, I think I might take your advice, dam I almost pulled it out 10 mins ago taking a piss lol caught on my gitch now it's taped back to my leg

I had my surgery last Thursday and feel like I have been in pain hell since then. I too have a string to seld remove my stint. I read all of these blogs as well as several others. I didn't think I could do it, but I gave it a shot in the shower this morning and I was successful! I would not say there was any pain, I could feel it and a few spots along the way it felt like there was going to be a lot of pain but it was not bad. The hardest part for me was when it was not longer just the string that was coming out, that made it more difficult mentally. I had to foucs on only touching the string to pull it out. I am starting to get a bit crampy and in pain on my left side where my stone was. Today is my first day back to work so wish me luck! :-)

Wow, Iam sitting contemplating taking my stent out today. Ive had my stent in for 4 days now and the doctor said I could remove It on day seven, I don't think thats a reality. I want to say thank you for all of you sharing your experience. It has helped me just to manage through the pain and nausea I'm in. Even had a few good laughs....it's too bad even the laughing hurts too!

"Wow, Iam sitting contemplating taking my stent out today. Ive had my stent in for 4 days now and the doctor said I could remove It on day seven, I don't think thats a reality. The pain is getting unbearable.
I want to say thank you for all of you sharing your experience. It has helped me just to manage through the pain and nausea I'm in. Even had a few good laughs....it's too bad even the laughing hurts too!

I was so afraid of having this thing removed but I think I over thought it too much. After reading some reviews online I thought the pain pill taken before and doing it in a hot shower would be perfect. My roommate promised she would do it in one soft sweep and it worked out perfect. She dressed up like a doctor and made me laugh so hard I did not even feel it but I do think the relaxation of the shower was the key.

Just removed my stent 30 minutes ago. I took two Advil about an hour and a half before removing the stint. I removed the stint in the shower which I had read in a post a couple of days ago. It went very well. With a steady pull on the string the stent came out with ease. No pain (just a little nervous) at all, just that minor feeling of the stent coming out. It came out in about 10 seconds are so. Just a steady pull is all that was needed (it was harder removing the tape that held the string on then pulling the stint). Reading all the post in what to do or best practices and what to expect was better than any and all instructions from the Doctor's office. What a joy to have this out. Will take it easy this evening so as not to promote any spasms or make any forthcoming spasms worst.

Wow, this really helped to read! Thank you!

Hi everyone. Let me just say that every last one of your posts has been helpful to me. I just had surgery this past Monday. An 8mm stone got zapped with a laser and I've been left with a string hanging out of my body. The last time I had this type of surgery, I was not given the option of self removal of the stent. I went in to see the doctor and he pulled it out. I have a very high pain tolerance, but the experience left me a bit traumatized. When this new doctor mentioned a stent, I immediately said no. He assured me it was the best way to go and I trust him totally. Having said that, I'm a little freaked out about this self removal, but you guys have inspired me to go ahead and do it. It's only been 3 days, but after I finish this post I'm marching myself into the bathroom, drawing myself a hot bath and getting this over with. Thank you all so much for your advice, humor and candor. I haven't met any of you, but I think you're all fabulous.

Had a large (4x4x10) stone (my 1st ever) zapped by laser on Monday. Doc put in a stent and said I could pull it out on Thursday (today). Just got through taking a shower and extracting the 12 inch stent. Not painful, just slightly discomforting for a brief couple of moments. The anticipation of doing it is worse than the actual act. Thanks to all for the words here - it helped knowing that it wasn't going to be that big of a deal.