No pain! I was so nervous about removing the stent myself. I took pain meds, Ibuprofen and Flomax prior ot removal and there was NO PAIN! Maybe it's different for males, but I was so relieved that it was painless and super quick.

Thank you all for the excellent advice. I removed my stent this morning. My experience was pretty pain-free. It actually reminded me of when you get soap in your urethra. Trust me it took me a good 45 minutes of sitting in a warm bath tub and encouragement from my wife to muster up the will to pull it out. I definitely had instant relief once it was out of me. I'm so glad I had everyone's advice from here. It truly helped.

I, too, had severe spasms after removal. I called the doc, who said to sit in a warm bath. I didn't really believe that this could possibly make much difference, but I was willing to try anything. The result was magical. The warm bath made spasms and pain instantly evaporate. I still revel at how something as simple as a warm bath can have such amazing effects!

Hey, I’ve had a kidney stone blasted with a laser. I have a stent and I’m suppose to keep it in for 7-8 days as to prevent the ureter from swelling and closing and then you’ll need another surgery for that. So as per my Drs advice 7-8 days the stent should be in 2 days is too soon.

Thank you!! I’m about to pull mine tomrw morning!!! So nervous! I will follow your advice to the T ! Edna

I went through a lot of these posts and built up the courage to take mine out (male)
I had surgery for a 1.4 cm ureter stone on friday evening. having the stent in has been so uncomfortable with all of the urgency urinations and associated pains.

I started the shower and had the hot water hitting my back as I kept rolling the string over the tape as I was trying to urinate at the same time. Not painful at all..just a "whoa sh*t this is happening". Once I saw the light blue colored stent coming there was no turning back.

As I write this, it has been an hour since removal. I feel great. Though I haven't urinated since and I am waiting for the spasms and discomfort that has been mentioned.

OK So for my case.. stent in 4 days,, Did the hot shower gig and gentle pulling.. 2hr before did
TWO 10/350 hydrocodine/acemamina pain pill..Only change I would make is to drink LOTS More then wait till I had to pee so I could "push and lube with urine to assist flush it out..Mine was 12 in long.. Once it started moving removal went very well. no pain,, and no jerking of course..

Good for you, so am I. Still doing a home removal.

After finding this site and reading the messages I removed my ureter stent after reviewing some of the messages. I was nervous about removing the stent, since I was having discomfort just walking around. The strings bothered me when I had alot of movement. It seemed to be o.k. when I was sitting in certain positions. The doctor told me to remove my stent with the strings after 4 days. This was my second stent, the first one was removed during my second procedure by the doctor. The first stent was in for 4 weeks after laser surgery. I had a stone that was a little bigger than one half inch and suprising I wasn't in any pain. It was caught during a routine urine test (microscopic blood seen) in the doctors office. O.k., enough about the stone. I took 200 mg of Ibuprofen about hour before and drank about 4 cups of water. I had to urinate, so I turned the shower on hot, held pee until shower was warm and stood in. I started to urinate and slowly pulled on both strings. It was a strange sensation, however no pain. It seemed like it took less than a minute or 2 to remove. An half an hour later, there was a little pressure or slight ache in my kidney area and or back, however, no pain.

Sorry to hear about that. I researched my Urologist before I decided to go with him. I read reviews and ext. He was previously head of Urology at a hospital and had very good reviews on all the websites I visited. I'm surprised the stent broke off, those things are pretty sturdy, however, there is that one out off a thousand that is faulty.