I have recently had a very strange "issue" I can not explain. When I lay on my stomach and raise my head to look at someone or simply read a book while laying on my stomach but propped on my elbows, I get a severe headache, i see little bright lights in my peripheral vision, I hear a rushing sound like the ocean and my vision begins to blacken. I get a severe crushing pain in my upper stomach directly under my breast bone and if i lay my head down I recover slowly and everything goes back to normal. (Very strange) the minute I try to lift my head again the whole episode happens again. Obviously I no longer lay on my stomach for any reason as it is very uncomfortable and i run the risk of passing out, and the old adage, "it hurts when I do this......"

My question is this--Does anyone else suffer from this or something similar? If so, have you seen a doctor and discovered what it may be? Is it something I should worry about or just avoid doing obviously.

I am 40 year old female. 116lbs 5'4" and have had 3 children ages 17, 14, 11. I am healthy and active. I do suffer from low blood pressure, but have my entire life.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am a 18 year old female and I have the same problem. It happens when I try to lift my head. If i am just laying with my head down I don't experience any of the symptoms, but If I lift my head for any amount of time I do. I don't have the crushing pain in my stomach, but I get the headache, dizziness, my hearing will be messed up like my ears need to pop, and lights in my peripheral vision. If I get up or lay on my back it will go away slowly. For me the lights in my vision take the longest to go away. This has been happening to me since I can remember.

I have not been to the doctor for this, but like you I have been wondering for a long time what this could possibly be.

I suffer from this too, I am a 35 year old female. It has been happening for about 5 years. I do have low blood pressure, like the original poster of this thread it has been that way my whole life. Flipping over onto my back seems to alleviate the symptoms faster than just laying my head down.

I also have this same problem only now it has been going into migraine headaches. I DO NOT have low pressure and am 41 years old. I did have a neck injury 8 months ago and did not have any xrays and wonder if it is a cervical spine issue. I am going to call the doc tomorrow and get in for an appointment and bring all this up. I just had a migraine tonight after I layed on my stomach and got tunnel vision and everything but when my friend told me to lay on my back my headache went away.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had anyone has found out what their problem is, I have the same problem and I suffered a head and neck injury last year, and a spinal injury, all were minor but, after these injuries I did suffer with alot of headaches but I am not too bad anymore, I went to the doctor recently about this, and he made me feel like an id**t, he checked my ears, throat, tilted my head, and pressed under my eyes and told me I was fine!!But I dont think its normal?

I have the same exact thing. I don't have insurance so I can't aginst to a Dr. I used to have low BP. Then I had full blown eclampsia with my son. Seizures and all. Ever since my BP is extremely irratic. Way way up till I can't hear or open my eyes and I have to lay down for a day. Or super low. When I lay on my stomache I get the same symptoms you guys have. I was in a vicious car accident 2 years before I had my son, which just turned 8, and I smashed my face. I heard a few of you talking about spinal injuries and I never considered that. Over my 8 years of dealing with this its slowly gotten worse. I had to quit my part time job because I was getting sick every morning I had to go to work. Panic attacks. Anxiety. I can go weeks without leaving the house. ..I don't know if its all connected. I've never found an answer for any of my issues.

Hi there! I'm a 28 year old female with the same problem. I'd also like to know why this happens. Also recently found that I get the exact same headache/pressure feeling when jumping on the trampoline with my kids. I also have low blood pressure (and Mitral Valve Prolapse) but am otherwise completely healthy. If anyone find out what causes this, please let me know! Thanks! :)

Hi all,

I see this post is old and started in 2010, but I wanted to reply to let you all know what is going on.

I too have these same issues, POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), or obstructed veins arteries in neck, or pseudo tumor cerebri typically cause these issues.  I have many health issues that I never knew about, i only felt the symptoms of them, I nevber knew what was wrong, but was very disturbed by how I felt.

Do you sometimes feel like your going to pass out when you stand up?  The problem is that 1, your not getting enough blood, oxygen to your brain.  When I say pass out, I mean I feel like I am litterally going to go down.  2, PTC pseudo tumor cerebri sometimes causes these issues, basically your brain pressure is too high, there is an issue with absorbtion of cerebral spinal fluid within the brain.  You can tell which issues your having if when laying on your stomach do you have whossing or can you hear your heartbeat in your ears?  Do you have any visual disturbances?  Do you feel like your being strangled, I don't mean pressure around  your neck, I mean do you feel like all blood and oxygen are being prevented from reaching your brain?

There are reasons you feel this way, and there are tests that can be done to verify the issues so that these symptoms can be treated.

Mary

If you have any questions please do it here so this information is availible to others.

I am an 18 year old female, and have absolutely no health issues. I've been having this problem for about two years. But sometimes my legs and feet feel numb and i can't take a deep breath. It's very scary. I've been to the doctor, and they all say it's normal just don't look up to watch TV while i lie on my stomach. Well aren't you supposed to be able to do that? When this happens, I lie on my back, and i fall asleep much faster than when it doesn't. Kind of like I pass out or something. seziers or however you spell it run in my family. Could this be what's going on?

I weigh 128 and i'm 5 ft. 3 n a half.

Ok I am 22 years old an have been diagnosed with POTS for about 4 years now. I've had multiple health issues as well including having ehlers danlos syndrome and cysts/tumors in ovaries, endometriosis, kidney failure (which was solved after lasics was given), large and small intestines failure, a tumor around on coccyx and had that and 3 vertebrae of tailbone removed.. I have had this problem as well recently as well as short term memory loss, migraines, and dizziness with vertigo as well... I have been to my doctor who did blood tests and nothing showed up. I'll be going to cardiologist this Thursday but I like to be prepared considering I'm a pre med graduate and plan to go to Med school with the problem of my health slowing my time line down a bit, but still I always like o be prepared because doctors love to turn me away because I tend to have a lot going on due to EDS and other issues that run in my family. My doctors turner away for years when it came to my heart because I have anxiety and they always just said it was an anxiety attack... Come to find out I have a mitral valve prolapse, asd, and pots. I had to pass out numerous times for this to even become an issue to find for my doctors. So, all this rambling comes down to me really wantin to be prepared ahead of time. Thank you so much!

This is so fascinating. I am a 41 year old female and have had this issue for years. I thought it was just something that happened to me! When I lay on my stomach (I love to lay on the floor and watch TV or read by the fire) and lift my head, I can feel all the blood rush from my head.  A strange pressure headache will sometimes follow for the next few days, as if something has been damaged. I can also get spots in my vision and more recently, Ocular Migraines (spots, flashing lights, zigzags etc.). The headache that follows over the next few days is exacerabated by coughing, bending down, sneezing or repeating the same position that caused it in the first place. I definately felt that it was something to do with my blood pressure, as after the incident, when I stand from sitting position, I can feel the pressure in my head. I am really otherwise fairly healthy and am relieved to hear that others suffer from a similiar condition. Now that I realize it is an actual 'thing', I will be approaching my doctor for a diagnosis. Thanks for sharing.

I am a 30 year old female, I have noticed for the past year or 2 that when i lay on my stomach and lift my head i get extreme pressure in my head and behind my eyes, it feels like my eyes are bulging out of my head and are about to pop out, along with that is tunnel vision, a strange noise in my ears and i feel like im going to pass out.  if i change positions the feeling goes away after about a minute or so.  the only health issues i have are low iron and migraines.  this issue never used to bother me but it seems to be getting worse, the pain in my head and the build up of pressure is more extreme then it used to be.  I have decided to make a doctors appointment and will be going next week, hopefully he will be able to help me!

I am 18 years old and I suffer from the exact same thing! Whenever I try to read a book while lying down on my stomach, my head starts to hurt suddenly, my hearing gets worse and I get these weird things in my sight/eyes. It's so painful and it distracts me from studying/revising. My doctor is ridiculously stupid and he just does not know what to do about it. I have difficulty in breathing from time to time - heart rate decreased to 53bpm last week. What should I do?!

Thank you in advance!

I am a 29 year old female and I have been noticing this for the six months or so, but never had the issue before.  I have all the symptoms listed above except I don't feel pain in my chest, it just feels like I am being strangled and there is no oxygen to my brain.  I get really dizzy and have to lie down on my back before I stand up.  If I try to stand or sit right up afterward I feel like I'm about to pass out.  I am finding this thread fascinating because I had no idea what was causing it.  I hadn't mentioned it to my doctor because I just didn't think much of it.  Good information.  Thank you!