I have read around on those bodybuilders' forums and it seems like they are very keen on proteins there! It is all about proteins, protein shakes, and more protein. All of that make me think. Is there such a thing as too much protein? And if it is possible to take in too much protein, what are the side effects of this?

The thing with protein is that your body uses calcium to process it. Proteins that you consume release acids, which need calcium to process them and digest everything properly. So if you are on a diet that has a lot of proteins, than it is important to make sure your calcium intake is up to scratch, because if it isn't, the body will take calcium from your bones.

I think that too much protein is bad for the kidneys as well, right? That is why people who exercise a lot are OK with lots of protein, because it is flushed out by the exercise again, and this produced muscles in turn. That is why bodybuilders need a lot more protein than your average person to develop muscles.