Hello everyone. I am interested to switch my oldest dog, Golden Retriever, he is 7 years old, to high protein diet. I was feeding him mostly with raw food, but I think that lately this food is not his favorite food. He just doesn’t want to eat it, and when he is hungry, he eats so little. I went to see the vet, and he told me that I should consider to feed him with high protein diet food senior dogs. I don’t know so much about it, some of my friends told me something, but I want to hear your opinion.  What are the benefits of high protein diet for senior dogs? 

My neighbor had similar situation. He was feeding his dog with raw food, but when he was older, he was not able to eat this food anymore. I don’t know why. The benefits are numerous, but you can be totally sure that your dog will love this food :) High protein food has bigger amount of protein, and this food can help you maintain lean body mass. Also, this food will help you increase protein and help your dog burn more calories. High protein food will give your dog appropriate levels of nutritious protein he needs.

But, you should consult your vet as well.

Hey there. The dogs who are on high protein diet will live longer. This is something that I have heard from my friend, because I am thinking to tell my mom about this – she has older dog as well. I know that my mom’s senior dog is underweight, so high protein diet is definitely beneficial for her dog, particularly because fat makes food more palatable, which can encourage your dog to eat more.

Also, you senior dog will be more active and healthier as well.

I say why not, you should really try this. I will try to tell my mom to do this as well. 

There are really a lot of health benefits of high protein diet. By feeding your dog according to this diet he will feel a lot better. The reason for that is very obvious – proteins are very rich in energy so he will taste the “energy boost”. :D It’s like you start giving your dog some energy drink but a healthy one. :)

Another great thing about high protein diet is the fact that proteins are very easy to digest. Since we are talking about a senior dog, this thing is really important.

It is very common that senior dogs have problems with their body mass – some of them are too heavy and some of them too skinny. Guess what, this diet will also regulate your dog’s body mass.

My corgi isn’t senior yet, but I have read a thing or two about feeding the older dog, so I can prepare myself when the right time comes.

Like others said, high protein diet will prolong your pet’s life. Be careful, there are some diets which promote reducing intake of proteins for senior dogs, but they are just rubbish.

Just two more tips. You need to pay attention to his bones and prevent any suspicious signs of arthritis. And the food you feed him should contain fructooligosaccharides (I hope I spelled it right) which are beneficial to intestinal flora and therefore can prevent GI problems. 

The fact is that nutritional requirements cannot be based only on the age of the dog, but many scientific studies confirmed that senior dogs need more protein than adult ones. The problem is if you feed your dog low-quality food for a prolonged time, you can damage his internal organs and his digestion will suffer and then he cannot eat high-protein foods any more. Be sure of your dog’s health condition before switching him to high-protein diet.

When looking for a right kind of food for your dog, the type of protein he needs is whole, unprocessed, and preferably raw.

This type of diet tends to help older dogs fight weight and dental problems, loss of muscle mass and improve his immune system. 

I know that a lot of studies have shown that feeding your dog with high protein food has a lot of benefits, and that everyone should try this way of eating. My friend Bob has dog for 11 years, and I just can’t describe how healthy he is. I just can’t remember when he was sick, cold or something like that. High protein food has a lot of nutritional benefits, that can affect positive on your dogs health. High proteins are easy to digest, so that is one more benefit as well. Just be careful – you should not let your dog to be overweight. 

I am a little bit confused after reading the topic and the posts in it.

I am not 100% sure but I think that senior dogs should be fed according to a “low protein” diet. The truth is that I don’t have a dog since 2008 so some things are maybe different now. Perhaps scientists have found that senior dog metabolism really need higher protein intake. So my opinion is maybe wrong but let me just paraphrase some articles which I read back when I was a dog owner:

Senior dogs’ kidneys aren’t as efficient as they were so the protein level in foods should be lower than it was before. Apparently, proteins are not so easy to process so the senior dogs’ kidneys could have a problem with them.

Hello to all. I have to say that the information that NotOldFashioned mentioned is really really old. I too remember when some scientists published the article about the benefits of low protein diet in senior dogs but the latest researches showed something different.  Apparently, high protein diet is very good for older dogs because it prevents muscle loss. Also, proteins are very easy to digest so dogs don't have problems with that.  

Another health benefit of this diet is the fact that proteins won't make your dog fat because they don't consist a lot of calories as carb for example. ;)