Hi, couple of days ago I read a health magazine. It was about oral problems. Some diseases were mentioned. There was also something about the illness called Sjogren's syndrome. I have never heard of it before. It seems that it can produce gingivitis. What can you tell me about Sjogren's gingivitis?

Hi, Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease. This means that our immune system is recognizing some part of our organism as a "foreigner". As a result, it reacts against that part of the body. The parts of the body that is affected in Sjogren's syndrome are moisture producing glands. Its symptoms usually are dry eyes and dry mouth. Most affected by it are women from the age of forty. Gingivitis is a disease characterized by swollen gums that bleed easily. If not treated, it can turn into a more serious condition that can even lead to teeth loss. Moisture producing glands are also located in the area of the mouth. Therefore, the connection between Sjogren's syndrome and gingivitis is obvious. Sjogren's gingivitis is combination of the two conditions. It needs a medical attention since the quality of life can be very much affected by it.