Hi, I am a forty seven years old woman. Beside some usual problems, my health state was just fine. However, recently I was having some symptoms that worried me. My eyes were dry. After seeing a doctor he told me that I have Sjogren's syndrome. It also affected my face glands by making them swollen. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease. What happens is that our immune system sees some parts of our organism as a foreign body. It automatically starts fighting it. As a result inflammations occur. In the case of Sjogren's syndrome, the affected parts are moisture producing glands that are also located in the face. Dry mouth and, like in your case, eyes are the usual symptoms of this condition. Since it is the glands of the face that are affected, it is not unusual for them to swell. There is not yet a cure for Sjogren's syndrome. The treatment includes medicine that is used in reliving of the symptoms of the Sjogren's syndrome. You should talk to your doctor about it and inform him of any changes that occur.