Up until about 2 years ago I had what I assumed were pinworms. After a friend got them (from me, I can only guess) we both bought over the counter medication for it, and they cleared up (again, this was 2 years ago). They came back once or twice but I got the meds again and for the most part they seem to have gone away.

Aside from that, I've had - for as long as I can remember - these wriggly feelings in the back of my throat that tend to come and go. They get worse when I'm hungry, and I always had what I just thought were regular hunger pains but now I'm not so sure. My throat gets this tight feeling and it's really unpleasant, combined with the wriggling it's pretty unbearable at times, and the only thing that makes it go away (aside from waiting for it to pass, which usually takes a while) is eating. It also always feels like there's something at the back of my throat, but I can't swallow it.

My stomach growls really loudly sometimes, and bubbles a lot. When I get the wriggly feeling in my throat I can hear it, it's that loud, but I don't know if anybody else can or not. Sometimes/usually - but not always - the wriggling in my throat and the bubbling in my stomach happen at the same time.

I was never sure if this was a symptom of the pinworms or something else, but since they seem to have gone (I really can't be sure, providing they were even pinworms in the first place) and now I've heard there are so many different types of parasites, I'm really paranoid - especially about tapeworms. Sources are conflicting about symptoms and I just can't seem to figure out what might be wrong with me. Some sites say they cause weight gain, others say weight loss, and I'm 19 years old and overweight. So it's confusing and scary as hell.

It's all rather terrifying and I'm hesitant to see a doctor about it (extreme embarrassment among other things) unless it's really bad. Can anyone help me?

I also apologize if this is the wrong place. I had a look around and this forum seemed the most appropriate.

though it could be a mental aftershock from your encounter with the parasites, it can not be assumed that there are no parasites within you, though it could also prove to be an unrelated illness.