I was infected with herpes simplex 2 years ago. This infection is recurrent. I was on antivirotics but am still potential source of infection. I know that am not alone. What do you think about dating people with herpes?

Did you know that genital herpes is today more common disease than asthma or diabetes? One out of 5 people is infected with this virus. You shouldn’t feel ashamed. Most people think that oral herpes is good one and genital herpes is bad one. That’s not true. Don’t let your social life be ruined because of herpes. Just be honest with people and talk about how you feel.

I kind of agree that having cold sores is way better than having genital herpes, because I definitely don't want anything going wrong down there. But if this is any kind of consolation in some twisted way, at least you can hide the genital herpes. Having cold sores on your lips is so embarrassing and annoying and right there on your face !!
I'm 17 and I've had them for years since I was in kindergarten (I'm a nail-biter :( .) My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 months now and during our 2nd month, I got a cold sore right in the middle of my bottom lip. I actually tried to hide it with lip gloss and stuff ... i just looked ridiculous ...
My boyfriend is in college and I'm in high school so we don't cross paths that much, but when he did see it as it was just starting to heal, he was fine about it. He didn't get all weird or anything and he just waited until it went away to kiss me. And he was soo eager to kiss me as soon as it went away !!
It really depends on the person you're with when you're dating. Being honest about it shows at least whether this person really likes you or doesnt ... And their level of ignorance, because some immature people at my school thought it was funny to ask "what dirty boy did you give head to to get that?"
Herpes isn't that bad and its not always there. The only issue that you should have is being careful when you have it. Abstiaining from contact where you're infected, washing your hands very often before and after touching the are where you are infected, keeping your infections clean, sanitizing things you come in contact with your hands, etc. The virus dies in soap and water, so just be safe.
And the best thing you can do is be informative. Know everything yourself about what you have and then tell them. Let them know that its safe and that you do everything you can to keep it that way. They will want to ask questions and once they have the answers, everything should be cool. (Unless they're that ignorant kind I mentioned before of course, which means you definitely can do better and just saved yourself from them.)