Hello

I have been taking suboxone for the past 4 years.  Recently when I went in to see my doctor and took my urine drug screen, it tested positive for methadone.  My doctor wanted to send it out for further testing but I let him know that unfortunately I do not have health care (which I repeatedly told him prior to the visit when my health care would end).  He showed me the panel and there was a little red dot above methodone.  I told him to do what he needed to do, but I have taken methodone in my life.  He ripped up the paperwork he was going to send to the lab for further testing. 

My questions are:  Since I take suboxone would that show up on the panel for methodone?

I have never taken methodone what could cause the test to show methadone?

This has really been bothering me and I know it shouldn't, but I am tired of being treated unkindly by the pharmasist or technicians when I go get my medication because I know what they are thinking  "drug addict".

Or by my doctor's looks like what I am saying is not the truth.  

Thanks for your time. 

Wow..can I relate to you!!! BIG TIME!! So many years ago on the eve of my day to be the first person in my state to gain weekly takehomes on MMT, I was told that I had a positive drug screen for opiates and I FLIPPED! I said to retest it, and if it came back positive I had to pay for it, but if it came back negative then I didn't and I was cleared..so it was sent with all the chatter abouter Oh how I was BSing the clinic, even though I had not had a dirty screen in over 5 years at that point. My test came back, and I was CLEAR! NEGATIVE!! I said TOLD YAH SO!! Wow and a few other smaller ones I hate to discuss but they do indeed happen, so If you are without  DOUBT certain you had nothing related to methadone, I would retest if possible. I do not think subs can do a false for methadone but not 100% on that..methadone is just methadone..I hope it all turns out okay for you as I know how badly it sucks to look like you did something you didn't, especially when you work so hard for it! Keep us posted on the outcome please! Good luck! Theresa (Opiatefreeme)

Dear Theresa,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Deep down I dont think my doctor will ever believe me, but I am in a catch 22 because he is also my medical doctor as well. I just wanted to jump up and down and say "I didn't do it". The price you have to pay out of pocket is crazy---it's almost like they don't want you to get better. It's very depressing all the way around to me. But thank you for your time---it meant more then you know.

Thank you so much for the reply and I hope that it has gotten better and that you will have yourself a great new year!! I am always around if you ever need to chat! Theresa ..aka.Opiatefreeme