I took Vicadin and Percocete for about 5 months and then was subscribed Suboxone. I've been taking Suboxone for about 12 months now. I've been slowly weaning myself. This past week, I took a quarter of a pill everyday and then I stopped--mainly b/c I'm now pregnant.

I can't sleep. I feel irritable, restless, cranky, etc.

Any advice? How long will this last?

all i can say is... tell a doctor that you are pregnant and had been using suboxone!!!!! your baby may be fine... but it may not be. ab the suboxone... yeah your screwed basically im in the same position and all i can find out is to take immodium beacuse its structurally similar to an opiod but it cant get you high... however... you can become addicted hah who knew you could become addicted to immodium! so be careful. also apparently it will pass but i cant find anyone who has had it pass! please if anyone has been through this please tell me it ends

I will first by saying, there isn't enough research completed on using suboxone during pregnancy to say if there will or will not be complications with your fetus. That being said, you are able to take subutex but again, not much research done on that. If you're in withdrawal your unborn child is feeling the same that you are times 10. I don't know your personally experience but you may look into switching to a low dose of methadone until you have delivered. It sounds like most of your symptoms aren't severe, mostly the mental side of the withdrawals ie. anxiety, irritability, restlessness so speaking from experience, you've been through the hardest part, it only gets better from here on out. For me the first 5 days were the worst and after that I felt better every day.
I am replying with more than a little bit of experience (5+ yrs in treatment) and with some education as well.
First of all, these forums offer some assistance but we are all individuals. Although our stories are more than likely quite similar, nobody's body works the same way. You are the only person that knows what you're body is telling you. If you're in withdrawals you're trying to rush things. The key to tapering is giving your brain time to repair the damage that has been done with illicit use. If you're in withdrawals all the repair has come to a stand still. The purpose of narcotic treatment is to keep your brain at a point where it is no longer releasing endorphins so that your body can build these back up. Endorphins are released when you're abusing drugs and they are your body's natural pain reliever. So, everyone's body will take a different amount of time to repair this damage.
I, personally, was in a methadone treatment program for 4.5 yrs at which time I continued going to counseling but switched to suboxone. For me, it was a long transition. It was about 6 wks before I felt normal. Now mind you, this is my body. I kept thinking that I was withdrawing but in fact my body just hadn't fully adapted so by the time I figured this out I was on 18mg a day and very lethargic. I quickly began going down 2mg per week and never felt any withdrawals until I reached 4mg at which time I started going down 2mg every other week depending on what my body was telling me. I stayed on 2mg for about a month and then went down to 1mg for 2 weeks. I have now been off suboxone for 9 days. It has been a walk in the park, a rainy walk, but it was worth it. I think that a lot of what I felt was being normal. I had been in a narcotic haze for the last 8+ yrs so that's the only normal I remember. A lot of it has been mind over matter. If I can keep myself busy I'm great. As soon as I sit down I start feeling blah, because I'm thinking about it. Just remember that the half life for suboxone is much longer than other narcotics so you may feel a little yuck for a week or maybe longer. The worst withdrawal symptoms that I've had from suboxone has been yawning, (tired people do that too! lol), loose stools (nothing like it is with methadone or heroin), I had some sweats and chills on the 2nd and 3rd day that subsided on the 4th, and just feeling different. Nothing was painful, no muscle cramping, I slept fine, no tremors and what little symptoms I have are subsiding every day. I'm very glad that I stuck it out and hope that everyone else can too. The only other thing that I suggest is make sure that you have a support system, sponsor, something, and get the counseling that is offered. Addiction is just as much a mental addiction as it is a physical one. You have to be ready to be clean. You need to want it and work for it. The prescription is a very small part of treatment! Just remember, it's your body and nobody knows your body better than you do! Stay strong and believe in yourself. If I can do, anyone can!!!!
I hope that this post has been helpful. Good Luck! You are all in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Nicole

Guest wrote:

If you are indeed pregnant get an abortion as your fetus is screwed up by your subpoxone use. Give the kid a chance another time and get on the pill. Exercise for the withdrawel.

Forget the abortion advice! I know for a FACT the baby/fetus will not have problems! And as for exercising, YES DO IT IF YOU REALLY WANT TO FEEL THE FULL WRATH OF WITHDRAWALS! The reason you feel withdrawal symptoms is because your body stops producing it's OWN PAIN KILLERS ( ENDORPHINS ), so you are left with no pain defense until your body realizes this and kicks reproduction into gear. This is why you feel like S**T, and if you exercise the soreness and everyday cricks n' aches, witch are usually masked by the body's nat. Pain K.'s, will be amplified!

Good Luck with the Baby!

:P I dont know how it affects being pregnant but I hope everything turned out okay for you. I have been on and off taking subs with opiates for three years. This is the last time though I am finished. I started off taking vics then switched to sniffing oxycontin and this went on for 7 years the last three i was on and off taking subs. Then i was introduced to heroin and was sniffing not shooting (Im not a shooter could never do it) about 8-10 bags a day and this went on for about 8 months until my boyfriend and I got arrested in my driveway worse thing that had ever happened to me. I have never had a traffic violation and im 25yrs. old. and now i have a record for possession. Thats rock bottom to me I cant upset my family anymore, but anyway my boyfriend went to detox cause he did way more than me. MY dr. only prescribed me 8-8 mg suboxone and I started off by taking a whole one at night and a whole one in the morning for the first two days and just went down from there and its been 9 days clean and I only take 2 mg of sub a day. And i did heroin i don't understand why these dr.s are prescribing you guys enough to last years that's screwed up they are just getting you addicted to something else. I don't get it I don't feel amazing but I feel good I have a little bit of a stomach ache some anxiety but that's it. I would go to the dr. that gave you that many for vicodin withdrawls and kick there ass. If i can do it in a week with heroin anyone who is taking vicodin an do it just as well. TAke some tylenol pm 2 sleep and immodium for stomach aches. Good luck

TAKING OPIATES WAS THE WORST THING I EVER DID AND HAVE BEEN REGRETING TAKING MY FIRST VICODIN 7 YEARS AGO. WITHDRAWLS FROM SUBOXONE SUCK BUT FROM HEROIN WAS 100 TIMES WORSE THIS WITHDRAWL IS A PIECE OF CAKE. JUST SUCK IT UP IT CAN ONLY LAST SO LONG UNTIL THERE WILL BE A DAY WHEN YOU AND I FEEL GREAT AND NORMAL I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THAT DAY IT WILL BE THE BIGGEST THING I COQUERED IN MY LIFE SO FAR. ALSO NA MEETINGS HELP WHEN YOU ARE FEELING DEPRESSED THEY ARE ALWAYS AVAILABLE. I JUST WANT TO BE FREE FROM MY ADDICTION. JESS

I just want to say...Nikhoma...that is the best post I've ever read on actually coming off of Suboxone. Everytime I see people posting about suboxone withdrawals...the exagerate so bad it makes me sick. I am currently tapering down also. I'm at 2mg/day right now and hopefully going to 1mg/day by next week. Anyway, I see people always posting that it's so bad...even coming off a 1mg. I came off suboxone about 3 months ago, jumping off a 1mg. It really wasn't all that bad...I tossed and turned at night and felt anxious when I had nothing to do...but all in all it was no where near as bad as heroin withdrawal. I was 100% clean for 6 days and almost relapsed...why?...I have no idea. Before I could screw up all my progress I called my doctor and told him how I thought I was going to get high. He immediately called in a script for me. He told me the reason that happened was I had no support system other than the sub. He told me to start going to NA meetings and get a sponsor. That way when the cravings pop up I will have a tool to deal with it. So that's what I have been doing. I have a good support system and a sponsor. I'm not one of those crazies that lives, eats, and breathes NA but I use the program as a tool to keep me clean. Anyway, once again...you're post was nothing but the truth and I like to see someone that actually has some balls and doesn't whine about the littlest bit of sickness. It all comes down to how bad to you want to be clean and live a semi-normal life. (We will never be 100% normal because we are addicts)

I totally agree with you too jarhead. I have taken suboxon two times in the past year. The first time I took them I had no idea that you had a withdrawal from them and i flipped out when it started. I wasn't too addicted to Roxy's...I mean i needed one 30mg everyday just to get through the day...but it wasn't close to as bad as other peoples. I relapsed and had to take suboxon again for 4 months and now I am on day 3 without them. Its hard but you really need to just keep busy. If you feel like your about to explode take a walk and calm yourself. In the mornings I've been taking a vitamin c pill and aleve...it doesn't help with everything but it helps alot more then curling up in a ball and not doing anything. So much of it is mental...I still don't understand why you would have to take it for years at a time. Smoking helps calm you down alot and forget about it. The worse part for me is going to bed at night. I take trazadone and it helps me get through the night...i still wake up alot but i dont stay up all night. You really have to think about the possitives about it though. When all of this is over you wont ever have to worry about it again! I hate hearing people complaining on here cause all that does is freak out everyone else and make then worry even more about it. Everything will be fine you just have to keep your mind off of it. The more you think about it the worse it is. and i can say that this time is so much better now that im not freaking out constantly. You can do it!! Be strong!! You also need people behind you pushing you to get through it cause its almost impossible to do it alone. I will keep you updated on how i am feeling the next few days.

After a solid year of sniffing 160-320mg of oxy daily, and sometimes upto as much as 400-560mg I was prescribed 45 8mg suboxones. Whe i was speaking to the doctor i basically had to beat any answers out of him regarding "how you may experience some slight discomfort when stopping sub treatment"...THE ALL TIME BIGGEST UNDERSTATEMENT. B/C the build up on my receptors was so much i was fine for 48+ hours after my last bit of sub...but then the wd's started but this time they were paired with crippling anxiety...all i can say is DO NOT let your doctor scam you into becoming a life long patient by telling you that you need to stay on any longer than a month, i have friends who were doing 2-3 BUNDLES of dope a day and were straight with 30 8mg subs. Anything more is you will have a new drug dealer, one with a fancy suit and white lab coat.

30 8mg Suboxone Tablets MAX
Wean 2mg per week
Once done: Stay Active, Immodium IR, Valerian Root for anxiety
IT'S THAT EASY... trust me i'm a doctor...well sort of anyway

Suboxone is a miracle drug in my opinion, but with a caveat. If you have been on it for six months and try to wean off, you're in for about 20-30 days of "mild" w/d's. If you're just starting suboxone, you're lucky to be reading this (I wish I had). Taper off as soon as possible - 5 days maybe - get in a support group so you don't relapse - deal with the minor w/d's, tough it out 5-8 days tops and move on.

If you HAVE been on subs for months, I know this isn't exactly PC, but one alternative would be to 'reset' your receptors by using again for a few weeks, go back on subs, get off of them as detailed above, and move on. This may sound like a recipe for becoming an addict again, but the alternative is about a month of insomnia, "mild" leg cramps, etc. If you do this, try to find someone to hold your ass accountable. Get in a support group, don't use this as an excuse to end up on the street panhandling to get high (which is where we all end up with long-term use).

One IMPORTANT note about subs. Make good and damn sure you are in w/d's before using. If you've been fortunate enough to buy them on the street, go into w/d's and start using subs without precipitated w/d's, you are truly lucky. Learn what a COWS (Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale) is if you plan on doing this solo (without a Dr's supervision, which I don't recommend), and make DAMN SURE you are at a 5/6 on the COWS scale. I have personally experienced precipitated w/d's from subs. First things first - if you're currently experiencing this, the only "good" advice I have is this - take additional 2-4mg suboxone every 1 hr until symptoms subside (not exceeding 24mg in 24 hr period). This MAY help. It limited my precipitated w/d's to about 13hrs. After 13hrs I only felt like sh*t. What I felt prior to that is indescribable.

For those who are still tempted to use subs when you're only 'sort-of' w/d from opiates - here's what happened when I did it. I took 4mg subs 24 hrs after using. About 30 minutes later, I got goose bumps all over my body. About 30 seconds later, I felt like I had been hit by lightning. My whole body was cold, I felt like I was going to pass out, my legs would barely carry me as I paced through my house trying not to pass out. I ended up calling 911, and the paramedics (surprise, surprise) didn't know anything about suboxone. They checked my vitals, offered me a trip to the hospital (which I politely declined), and then left. I spent the next 13hrs in a manner that I don't care to recount. Anyway, once more - make damn sure you're at a 5/6 on the COWS scale before inducting subs. If you're not damn sure, don't do it. See a doctor. (An addictionologist, not a pill dr who offers to 'taper' you off of opiates instead - there are plenty of those out there - qualified to prescribe suboxone, but only interested in being your pill Dr.).

I hope this helps. Any questions just ask.

Whoever said to get an abortion is just a troll. As someone said above, suboxone has not been proven to cause complications. But they also recommended trying subutex, which I disagree with. Suboxone and subutex are the same chemical, buprenorphine. The only difference is that suboxone has an addiction chemical, naloxone, which isn't active when taken sublingually. Nalaxone is also known as narcan; a drug paramedics use to counteract an opiate overdose. If injected, it can bring on precipitated withdrawals, which are even worse than normal withdrawals.

So, in your case, there is no difference between the two.

I have been on Suboxone for over a year and recently weened myself off. I cannot say enough how much Imodium AD helped me through the wd's! For me, it basically eliminated them. I hear it works for some and not others, not sure why that would be, but I'd say that for anyone going through any opiate wd's, try taking some Imodium AD, don't take too much and ween yourself off of the Imodium as well.

Hello I hope no one read my negative comment about these posts. There was a post I read lately that has changed my mind. Ive never been into these blogs although I want to help anyone who is withdrawing off subs because it would be so terrible for them to use do to these withdrawals. I had a hundred dollar a day heroin habit for years, I was a dealer so I splurged as you may imagine. When my ex wife said I could no longer see my children that is the only thing that made me quit. Without a reason to quit I can imagine how hard it would be. But let me get back to my point. I was so happy that I survived a near death defying withdrawal in detox from that amount and four weeks later there I was, withdrawing from suboxone. Restless legs, cramps, anxiety, you f-ing name it. I tapered over 4 weeks to 1 mg every 72 hours. By the fifth day of withdrawals I was back at work. This is doable but you must be strong. I was sick, sick in detox, sick at home, sick at work, sick of this goddamn sh*t. But every time I looked at my children I knew I had to endure and that was what being a man was all about. Look people, life kind of sucks, remember? That's why we turned to this sh*t. As long as you arent so surprised and let down about how bad you feel after you expected to be rewarded for kicking in some form. So lets all keep our chins up be thankful we didn't have to storm any beaches in France like our grandparents. Cheers to anyone suggesting to stay busy and and active. When I was dope sick I would walk, I would feel better, not much, but better. It produces endorphins, the lack of these is what is causing the withdrawels. Ohh, but you can make them your self just by getting off your winning ass. Some tough love for you all, and I do love you.

I'm happy to hear about your change of mind and it sounds to me like you've got a healthy attitude about it. Thanks for telling us your story and keep us posted on how you're doing, okay?

I spent 2500 month on oxy for a year. i was losing my life. i heard of suboxone and used it for last 9 months. started at 16 mg day down to 2 mg day last month. had an emergency appendectomy last weekend and decided to kick the suboxone during recovery. Ive been detoxing since monday. I dragged my sick sorry self to this site because i can barely stand another second of the pain. Ive been through hells only in nightmares of most during my life but always overcome and survive. Yes i did this @##$ to myself. I have no right to whine. But i feel the pain of you all. I did read two posts that were, in my opinion, arrogant and written by two very very fortunate individuals who were lucky enough not to feel the cell bursting, mind exploding, demonic torture of overcoming what we've done to ourselves. Yes life can suck way bad and yes, that is how many of us got to heroin or oxy in the first place. It has brought some bit of comfort to find this site. I wont give up, God please help me to not!

All I can say is that unless someone has jumped into the chasm of hell called opiate addiction they can never understand the agony that awaits. There truly seems to be no mercy for those who write the scripts as they look down their noses in judgement. I read the post about wishing for the doctor to feel the posters pain for just an hour and watch him beg for a script. Your words could not be more true. I feel at times my life is slipping from my body. No more vomiting, diarrhea, excruciating pain. Now I have the feeling that I want to crawl out of my skin, anxiety, shaking, sweating, and the most lethargic weakness imaginable. My back and legs hurt so bad sometimes I cry. I lay on the bed drooling and crying and thinking I wont awake in the morning.

Can anyone tell me, when will it be over? When will I be able to walk through a grocery store or spend time with my children and muster enough energy to not break out into a sweat followed by chills? I down wine, vodka, Klonopin just to sleep and escape the torment. Yes for you who say "suck it up" I applaud you. But for those considered "whining" like myself, I am to ill and weak to even be hurt by your words. I don't know how much longer I can take this $^^&. Can someone please give me an idea when I'll be ok so I can keep my eye on the finish line/promise land? Good luck to you all. So few make it out. All of you are here because you have the will and desire.