Hi, 15 days ago I got out of the hospital after having surgery on my right knee. It was an operation on my dislocated meniscus. The doctor said that they managed to fix that and that I will be fine after the wound heals. They put a cast on the leg told me that I should stay away from any physical activities. Recently I have noticed a big bump in my groins growing. It doesn’t hurt or anything like that but I feel discomfort since it’s hard and I can feel it while moving my leg. I didn’t mention that the growth is on the right side just as my leg. What could be the cause of the swelling?

The growth is probably a swollen groin gland caused by disseminated infection or some form of cancer metastasis that got stuck in that particular lymphatic gland. Groin area is a part of the body that is especially rich in lymphatic nodes and glands whose basic purpose is a production of lymphocytes, a kind of white blood cells and the defense of the organism against the infection of any kind. Swelling of the lymphatic gland is a natural defense mechanism of the body that is trying to eliminate whatever is causing the infection. In your case the big chance is that the swelling is caused by some kind of the infection of the wound created by the recent surgery. The infection doesn’t have to be visible yet but the swelling of the gland is a definite sign that something is going on. You should consult your general practitioner or the doctor that performed the surgery about this whole matter, and ask him or her for the advice on further actions to be taken.