in the last two weeks I have had a reaction of swelling lips and it appears to move around my lips and even once around my eyes, the only common food that may have any relation is alcohol, twice I had some margaritas before the reaction and once after drinking wine, the first time it last only a few hours the last time it lasted for 24 hours thanks for your help Jerry

have you had any mangoes lately?

I have had facial swelling for the past year now. Sometimes it is the eye, nose bridge, cheak, forhead, lips and even the scalp. It last anywhere from a few minutes to a few days when it happens. The time when it doesnt happen can range from day to weeks. I know when it start to happen beause the area that swells start to itch a little before. I have had A MRI and seen a Specialist and they have no clue what causes it. We stop the use of all facial product, changed soaps, journaled what i ate and drank, and even tried facial cream prescibedalong withsome different pills. The one thing they say must cause it is stress but it seems to happen either way. If you have any luck with finding out what it is please let me know. I would love for it to stop. o.O

Do you use Splenda? I have used Splenda for several years never had a problem with it to my knowledge. Several months ago my lips started to swell and get very sore. This was very unusual for me because I always kept them lubricated well and never had a problem. It kept getting worse and worse. But then somedays it would be a little better only to get worse again. It was almost as if they were burned with a chemical or something. I could not think of anything that I had changed in my diet or other products used that would cause an allergy. I never considered Splenda because I had been using for several years. Then last week I read on another blog about Splenda possibly causing these symptoms. I also had noticed that my face seemed to be swollen sometimes but thought that it was a result of weight gain and did not connect that symptom with my lips. The more I read the more I felt that Splenda might be causing the problem so I tested it. On Friday 9/4 I stopped using Splenda. The last I had was on Thurs 9/3. By Sunday 9/6 my lips were noticably better - at least 50% better. By Tues 9/8 they felt almost back to normal. They had not felt this good in months. I could actually smile without them hurting. I am now convinced that the Splenda was the problem even though I had not noticed symptoms for several years until a few months ago. Another of the side effects people mentioned was swollen face, hives, itching etc. I have also noticed in the last few days that my face does not appear to be as swollen as before. I have concluded that because I did not use Splenda every day, that the days that my lips felt a little better were following the days that I did not use Splenda and then they would get worse when I used Splenda again. I did not track this because I didn't realize then that Splenda could be the problem. Google "Splenda" & "swollen lips" or "swollen face" and read the posts.

That's really unusual. I did not know that SPlenda would cause that issue. Are you able to eat without having any swollen lips or face now? I hope so!

Yes, my lips are getting better each day and my face is no longer swollen. Exception, I went out to eat about a week after I stopped using splenda (my lips & face were getting better & were almost back to normal after many months of horribly sore and swollen lips). I ordered Pepsi to drink. When I got my refill, another person at the table also got a refill on her Diet Pepsi. I think perhaps the waitress mixed up the refills and gave me the diet instead of regular because the next day, my lips started reacting again and it was 5 more days before they got back to where they were before that meal. Pepsi One (a diet drink) contains Splenda even though it doesn't taste much different than regular Pepsi. That is the only explanation I have for the relapse. I have read on other blogs that you have to be very careful and read labels on everything you buy to eat/drink because many products are now using Splenda (Sucralose). So read labels & if the word Sucralose is in the ingredients do not eat/drink the product IF you are allergic to Splenda. (Sucralose is not to be confused with Sucrose. These are not the same.) Many of the flavored waters contain Sucralose. I also did not know that Splenda would cause such a reaction until I read about others with the same problem. I had been using Splenda for several years and did not get this reaction until 10 months or so ago. From reading about others, I did realize that I had other symptoms such as unexplained rashes or hives under my breasts and on my eyelids. Many other people said they had hives and itching all over their bodies from Splenda. I cannot say for certain that Splenda caused my problems, but I highly suspect it since I have been off of it for 2 weeks now and my lips feel better than they have in months (with the exception of that one relapse last week when I may have had Splenda in my Pepsi). I can even go for several hours now without putting on lip balm. Before, I had to re-apply every few minutes and would wake up with cracked and sore lips every morning. Now I don't even constantly think about my lip problem because they are no longer painful, sore, and throbbing constantly. Again, I do not have scientific proof that Splenda was the issue but it would seem very coincidental for this to clear up on its own at the exact time I stopped using Splenda after having this for so many months. I am really glad if it is the Splenda because that is pretty easy to give up. Google "Splenda" & "sore lips" or "rash" and read some of the many other comments. You may find you have symptoms that you did not associate with Splenda before. I know that I had not connected the rashes, hives, & swollen face with my lip issue before I read what others had experienced and I certainly had not considered that Splenda could have caused any of them.

Look up Sulfite sensitivity. They're in a lot of things and facial swelling that's hard to pin down is often caused by them