Hello! My younger brother has enlarged lymph nodes on the right side of his neck. He had fever and stuffed nose a week ago. His doctor prescribed antibiotic for a week and he started to feel better after few days. He feels fine now, he has no fever and he is back to his everyday activities. My mother is concerned regarding these lymph nodes. We don’t know if swollen lymph nodes at the side of his neck could be a sign of something more serious then simple nose infection.

Hello! Lymph nodes are usually enlarged as the result of bacterial or viral infection. This is the sign that they are fighting the infection. They are usually painless or the pain is very mild and the lymph nodes don’t get bigger than two centimeters. Lymph nodes placed on the back part of the neck drain the internal structure of the throat. These lymph nodes are usually examined by the doctor if he suspects a sinus infection, since they usually become enlarged when there is any type of upper respiratory infection. I think you should not worry and give the lymph nodes two weeks to go back to normal size.