Teenagers Who Think They Can Do What They Want, Known They Will Get In Trouble For Doing It

please elaborate. What do you mean?

anonymous wrote:

please elaborate. What do you mean?

They have friends over when Im not home, taken IPods to school(sneaking), riding in care with other friends when I dont knw about it and not told or asked, they are always in my bathroom when they have their own just a few examples. I am looking for ways that might help or punishments that might work other than what I already do and dont.

Can I ask how old they are?

And from what I understand it sounds like you don't trust your kids. And trust is a big deal that affects everything. Have your kids ever let you down or done anything majorly wrong?

Yes, there does need to be more communication between you and your kids, you deserve that respect. And it does seem like they may no have that much respect for you and your belongings. However, some of it is really just "normal" teenage behaviour that isn't really that big of a deal. Sometimes, we just need to pick our battles, the more you freight and fight about the little things, the more they hide things. And you do not want that to happen. All kids bring their ipods to school, so unless theres a rule at their school, then I really don't see a problem with it, now if it was taken away as a consequence then yes, they should not be taking them.

I would just have like a "family meeting" and have them all sit around. You all take turns "listening" - thats a key component!! even if you do not like or agree with what their saying, just hear them out and do not jump in!! - And everyone needs to come to some sort of agreement. Like, I would love for your friends to come over, but only between 5-10 or something like that. Or as long as their parents are informed of their whereabouts. And you can always call to check in to see how things are going, or you can get them to call you at certain times. Also, if you have a trusted neighbour then maybe talk to them to make sure things don't get out of hand, and if they do they can notify you.

Just let them know you love them and care about their safety, and let them know they can always go to you if the need help. So if their in a situation they can call you and trust that you will help them and not be angry at them for it. Of course let them know your not happy, and yes some consequences may be made, but let them know why its done, so they understand. Its a hard one, but you want your kids to go to you, so you need to be open with them and then they will be open with you. And you need to show them that they can go to you, by not freaking out all the time.

But again, you do deserve the respect, and it is important that they let you know whats going on. Have you ever had the "talk" with them? now may be a good time. Talk about EVERYTHING!!! dating, sex, pregnancy, drugs and parties, drinking and driving! Provide information, and I always think its a good idea to share your experiences, so then maybe they will be open to share theirs. Again, without freaking out!! Very hard to do! And make the consequences fair.

Just take a moment and breath a little, and remember what being a teenager was like. And trust and have faith in your kids that you brought them up right and they know right from wrong. And they will learn the hard way, and make mistakes, everyone does. Give them choices and options, rather then just tell them, their teenagers, their all somewhat rebels, and trying to find their own way and being more independent.

Hope this somewhat helps you. If you need anything else then let me know.