I went to the doctor yesterday and he said that there is a lot of blood in my urine. What does it mean? He referred me to an urologist. I didn’t notice any blood in my urine before.

As I now a lot of blood in urine means that you could be having a problem with the kidneys, normally they don't allow blood cells to leave the blood vessels, but if they're damaged they can do or UTI. However, there could be a stone present, in the urethra and renal pelvis, which rubs against the walls of the ureter, irritating it, and allowing blood into the tract.

Hello there audy,

Blood in your urine can be a sign of UTI, kidney infection (which is usually consequence of untreated UTI) and even some other more severe conditions.

If you haven’t felt any othe symptoms (but since you have visited your doctor it is more likely that you have) than you are probably suffering from mild urinary tract infection.

This is very common condition which is affecting males and females and there is no difference in treatment. Usually some type of antibiotics (Bactrim or Amoxicillin) is prescribed after the urologist confirms that you are suffering from UTI.

Don’t be scared because you will be fine in a few days. Drink a lot of fluids to keep your kidneys clean.