A couple days ago I developed a sore throat, thought nothing of it so just continued with my normal schedule. Next day it got really bad so I assumed I had tonsillitis and decided to start drinking water, avoiding hard foods and to go rest. However, after going to sleep I woke up in the middle of the night with a pounding headache and a loud, slightly painful, ringing in my ears. My lower back and abdomen had bad pains and I was finding it difficult to breathe. My heart was also beating very fast and powerfully. I decided to lay down and attempt to take some deep breaths till I fell asleep again which worked after an hour or so. But now this morning I still have the pains but they aren't as bad and when I went into toilet my mouth was filled with phlegm so I decided to wash out my mouth but I just started to spit out blood. What is going on?

what you're going through sounds to me like a nasty case of tonsillitis, most likely a strep throat. Strep bacteria cause your tonsils to swell, but it also leads to forming of pus-phlegm filled spots on the tonsils and any - even the smallest irritation - can cause them to burst and of course, cause a small injury on your tonsil. That's where the blood came from. I had similarly bad strep throat last year and it took some pretty heavy antibiotics before it clear up. So, you need the antibiotics to help you fight off this, the longer you wait before starting them, the worse it'll get, so please try getting a doc appointment as soon as you can. Also, temporarily, gargling with salt water will help to ease the pain a bit and disinfect the area.

Wish you all the best, Nicole

Thank you for the response Nicole really appreciate it! Helped me explain better to doc over phone so I was able to get my hands on an antibiotics + pain medication prescription very quickly. Thanks again and have a great new year :)

Glad to hear you got in touch with the doc! Have a great 2014. :D