Hi, I'm writing because I have dentures. I have only had the bottom ones for 1 year. about 3 weeks ago one of my sockets has started to be exposed. I thought at 1st it was just a sore from the dentures, but I realizes now that it is the socket. Today it is really sore and it does not appear to be getting better. Is this normal? Will it heal on it's own or should I find a Dentist to see me?
Thank you,
Cindy

Hi Cindy! The one thing you can NOT let happen is for the socket to get dry - this brings terrible infection and a lot of pain! so I think with your pain that this has happened! You will need it seen by a dentist - for sure - to not only have that seen to, but to find out why an exposed socket happened in the first place! Keep your moth irrigated with warm water and salt - about a cup of warm water and 2tbs of salt! NOW the only reason not to do this, is if you have tissue still inside the cavity - so it would look like a blood clot! You don't want to swoosh the clot out - as this would make it dry! Only do this if the socket is empty and you need to have some relief and stop infection - with the salt!