I want to start training cycling seriously. I can ride for a long time and enjoy doing it. But that it usually a leisure ride. I want to get serious. I can even imagine myself competing some time in the future. I know that I cannot do it on my own. I need good training programs. Can you recommend me something?

You are correct in assuming that you need assistance in achieving your goals. There are many training programs offering a wide variety of instructions and directions for your training. I came across a 12 hours per week training program the other day. It offers some advantages over other programs since it pays attention to the sufficient recovery while maintaining intensity. Ambitious beginners like you who want to increase their performance can benefit from it. There are two days for intervals, Tuesday and Thursday. On Monday and Saturday you will train at 60% of your maximal heart rate. They are called “light” days. Their purpose is to speed up recovery from races and hard training. You have to keep up this intensive training for three weeks. The fourth week is designed for recovery and should have less intervals and training.