The winter and cold weather are around the corner and I have no idea how to prepare myself and my bike for cycling in such conditions. I’m not very long in this sport. Maybe only a couple of months but I like it very much and I don’t want to stop my everyday routine during the winter. Can you tell me a few important things I should know about winter training?

Welcome aboard! Every real and dedicated cyclist never stops training, no matter how hot or cold weather may be. Come rain or come shine, we’re always on our bikes. But, I must say a few things that you should know and take into consideration. It can be dangerous because, naturally, there is ice and snow all around, so I advise you to pick a short route for the beginning and to cycle only when it’s not snowing heavily because of good visibility. Then, you’ll need some good studded tires that’ll minimize the risk of skidding. As for the clothing, you’ll need warm winter cycling tights. Don’t try to cycle in regular trousers, because it’s unpleasant and uncomfortable. I don’t have to stress that helmet is a must! The shoes can be problem, because special, warm cycling shoes for winter are very expensive. Be careful and good luck.