I have dialysis 3 times a week and I am still able to void quite a bit. I would like to know if the dialysis techs can disconnect me so I can go to the bathroom and then reconnect me. Is it safe to "hold it" for periods of 45 minutes or longer?

Could they disconnect you and reconnect you, yes. Would I recommend it, no.

You increase the risk of infection every time you make/break a connection. I don't think the risk to your health is worth it.

Can you go just before? How about limiting your fluid intake on dialysis days?

Yes, it is safe to "hold it" for a short period.

Can't they just give you a urinal to use while you are there if you need it?

Good luck.

I agree with medic-dan. It is not harmful for you to hold your bladder for that long, so it would be best that you hold it in while you are receiving dialysis. They'd of course disconnect you if necessary, but I don't see why they wouldn't have a bedpan for you to use instead. It makes me wonder why they wouldn't offer that as an option. I'm sure it would be a bit embarrassing to go in front of people, but they certainly have seen worse! I hope that answers your question!

I have been training to do dialysis at home and have been on dialysis for about 4 months now and in the beginning regularly used to be disconnected to go to the toilet with no ill effects, in fact they teach you how to circulate so that you can go to the toilet or if you need to come off for any other reason. You can circulate for up to 20 minutes. Why hold on and be in discomfort?