Hey everyone,

I'm a 17 year old female, 18 in a couple of weeks, I am sexually active. I have a problem with my vagina and I don't know what it is or how to treat it. I've had this problem twice now and I'm too shy to go to the doctors to talk about it.

Basically, my vagina is very itchy, red, swollen painful at times. When i first got it I thought it was thrush, so I got some over the counter treatment. First i got the tablet you put inside your vagina with the cream for the outside of your vagina and it didn't really work, it relieved the symptoms a little bit but it was still there. After a couple of days i started to notice that there were patches on my vagina where hair had stopped growing and they felt a little rough, i kept applying the cream. The pain went but their was still redness (although not as much) still itching and it was still fairly swollen. I got some Aloe Vera bath Gel for christmas and i used it in the shower as normal then about a 2 or 3 weeks later, the symptoms cleared up.

I was clear from the end of December up until now (February) and it's come back in the past week. This time it's slightly different. The itching and the redness is more from my Urethra now. Yet again i treated it as thrush, but this time i got the oral pill. After two days the itching from the bottom area of my vagina cleared but it was still swollen and itchy and red at the top of my vagina and on my Urethra. I still use the thrush cream and Aloe Vera bath Gel, the redness has gone down a lot since the first couple of days. It's still a little red and still itchy, but I've also developed a burning feeling in my Urethra, sometimes when i pee and sometimes after i pee, like i need to pee again. I have been tested for Chlamydia in the past couple of months and tests came back negative. I really don't know what this is, but it's really unpleasant and lowers my self esteem. It's almost making me depressed. I just want to be healthy again and I don't want this to come back ever again, but it sounds like its a recurring thing :'(

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm booking a doctors appointment tomorrow because after having it come back, i think it's quite serious now.

Indeed sounds like a yeast infection to me.Yeast infection is caused by a fungus called "Candida albicans" which is normally found in small amounts in the vigina. This infection is often found on people with weakened immune system, in most cases it is not the sex activities which bring women yeast infections.Women with yeast infection may develop symptoms including:

Pain/itch/burning at vulva area

Pain/itch/burning in vagina

Pain during intercourse and/or urination

Cottage cheese like vaginal discharge

Swelling

But the fact is antibiotics carries drug resistence and thus may lose their initial effectiveness on treating disease for a certain of time.You'd better see a doctor and get prescriptions. There's an alternative therapy named . pill can also help you eradicate your problem. You may google this and have a look. 

Thanks for replying! I'm seeing my doctor on Wednesday and I'll get some prescriptions. I'll google . pill and have a look. Thanks for your knowledge and advice, greatly appreciated.