Hi everyone,

I just got a Persian cat as a gift from my boyfriend for my birthday. She’s so adorable, I was jumping for joy.

Anyway, I’m new to cats. I never had a cat during my life, my family always had dogs even though I always wanted a cat. I was wondering if the vaccination for cats is similar to vaccination for dogs? I don’t know why am I asking this, I don’t even remember what were the required vaccines for dogs.

So anyway, I need some instructions here. My cat is two months old and she should start receiving her vaccines somewhere about now. Which vaccines do cats need?

Hey Ruby,

Congrats on your new cat! :) I love Persian cats, they are so fluffy and cute and adorable!

I got my first cat when I was nine, and since then, I’ve always had a cat. At least one at a time.

When I was getting my cats vaccinated, there were 5 different vaccines that she was required to take. These were supposed to be given to her when she was between 2 and 5 months old. These vaccines include the ones for the most viral diseases: herpes, calici, panleukopenia, feline leukemia and rabies.

Some of these vaccines need to be given again in the upcoming years.

Hey guys,

Ruby, there are two kinds of vaccines: core ones and non-core ones. The ones that your cat “needs” are the core ones. There are five of them, the ones that Mia already mentioned above: herpes, calici, panleukopenia, feline leukemia and rabies. Not all the people give rabies vaccine to their cats because it can cause a lot of serious diseases, and can lead to death. Just saying.

On the other hand, you have non-core vaccines which are given to your cat regarding the place where she’s living, the nature of her behavior, genes, etc.  These vaccines include vaccines like feline AIDS, feline infectious peritonitis and so on.

Hello.

Two kind of vaccines are available for your cat. Now, it depends on your vet which one your cat needs.

That is why you need to consult with him always.

Both kind of cats need to be vaccinated – indoor and outdoor cats.

Vaccines are protecting your cat against fleas, rabies heartworm and some other disease.

When I first got my cat I vaccinated her with 4 different vaccines and I was repeating this every three months.

I remember that one of my friends told me that once I vaccinate my cat I need to wait for three years. I don’t think so.

It is very important to do it regularly.

Hey. Here is what I know. After your kitten had serious of vaccines in just one year, some vaccines such as feline distemper are recommended every three years. Instead of classic shot some vets are using a intranasal vaccines.
It is very hard for me to tell you which vaccines your cat need because sometimes it can be complicated process. Sometimes my cat needs different vaccination that your cat.
So when you really need to decide which vaccination your cat needs the best advice that I can give you is to find a vet that you trust, the one who know some needs for your cat.
Trust me this is amazing combination and together you can cup up with good care plan for your pet.

First of all, you have two types of vaccines for your cat.

The core vaccines are the vaccines that your cat should get no matter what. You have five core vaccines. They are given to your cat when she is still a kitten and are given again in the following years. Only one of these core vaccines is required by the law, and it’s the rabies vaccine. I know a lot of people who are not giving this vaccine to their cats because it is very dangerous, and in the end, it can be fatal.

On the other side, there are non-core vaccines which all depend on the place where you live, your cat’s lifestyle, etc.

Hey Ruby,

I remember when I first started vaccinating my cat, I had no clue what I was doing. Luckily, I had a good and patient vet who explained everything to me. Well, there wasn’t too much to explain, but still.

There are five vaccines your cat is going to get until she turns five months: rabies, as the most dangerous one, and the only one required by the law. Feline leukemia, some vets are putting this vaccine in the non-core group. Panleukopenia, calici and herpes. All of these diseases are lethal and that’s why the vaccines for them are called core vaccines and must be given to your cat.